Live stakes

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by pumpgunner, Dec 3, 2021.

1. pumpgunner

pumpgunner Elite Refuge Member

Anyone have experience with planting box elder and button bush/button willow from live stakes? And a good supplier over the internet?

2. KAHunter

KAHunter Elite Refuge Member

We plant live stakes fairly regularly for restoration jobs and I use the leftovers at my farm. Never seen a supplier over the internet. Your best bet is to contact a local native plant nursery and they generally can do them for you. You want to plant them in dormant season and relatively soon after you get them. If done properly we have great success, though you will generally lose a few but most will do fine.

3. ashcohunter

ashcohunter Senior Refuge Member

I've planted 1000s of live stakes, I try to gather my own from sites on private land or my own. Always obtain permission. If i run short I can buy them from Ernst conservation seeds, Meadville Pa. I did buy 1000 this year for a larger project. A 2' stake is around 70 cents.

4. pumpgunner

Thanks. I’m gonna see if I can do an order with Ernst.

I’m a good drive from my place and I’d rather hunt during the season then cut cuttings and look for them. An overtime shift after the season takes care of the expense. The drought this year nailed the tree line I had going.

5. KAHunter

KAHunter Elite Refuge Member

They are in pennsylvania. I would look up some local or atleast closer native nurseries first. Gonna cost you an arm and a leg to get live stakes to california and if shipping screws up(which is pretty common nowadays) and gets delayed or whatever, you would be receiving some very expensive kindling.
    Dont get me wrong Ernst is a great company. We have an account with them and use them pretty regularly but I think you will be happier with something on your side of the country trying to find live stakes. Most native nurseries should either be able to help you or atleast point you in the right direction

Sam Ortmann likes this.
  6. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I don’t understand why in the hell anyone would want to plant willows. If you don’t have any now you’re damn lucky.

7. pumpgunner

it doesn’t rain 6 months out of the year here. Controlling them is way different if that’s what you’re referring to. Our native oaks grow way slower and produce acorns a lot later in their life span.

8. French Creek Fowler

French Creek Fowler Senior Refuge Member

I work for Ernst and Manage their Bio Engineering Department, we provide live stakes of many different species and sizes. I think any biodiversity added onto a site works great, most places I hunt are full of Willow and brush along the shoreline. Makes for great sheltering areas as well as feeding areas.

9. NyssaAquatica

NyssaAquatica Refuge Member

It’s fairly easy to just make your own cuttings from willows. Anything you can remove with a lopper, stick in the mud and it will take.

10. Randy Hoffman

Randy Hoffman Refuge Member