Long line decoy sizes

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by Flyin Brian, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Flyin Brian

Flyin Brian New Member

I understand the concept of oversized decoys providing greater visibility. But, does anyone mix up their decoy sizes on their long lines between oversized and standard intentionally? I feel like by varying the drop line lengths slightly (2-4”) and random decoy sizes within the line, it breaks it up and provides a more realistic presentation. Thoughts?

2. oleww

oleww Senior Refuge Member

Yes, kinda. When I put out long lines, I am looking for numbers... so everything I own hoes out. To include puddle duck feeder butts in 20 feet of water.

3. Flyin Brian

Flyin Brian New Member

So it’s a shear numbers thing for you, the decoy sizes varies by default. Thank you.

4. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Senior Refuge Member

I prefer oversized decoys on my long lines. 110-125% of life size. Not quite Magnums as they take up a lot of space in the boat, but bigger.

For the loose birds in the spread I am looking for life size birds or even slightly smaller than life size. In those cases I am after numbers to build the look of the active raft.

5. Flyin Brian

Flyin Brian New Member

6. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

If you want smaller than life size get higdon divers. They small.

ByroB likes this.
  7. meb

meb Senior Refuge Member

I use majority magnum Herters 72s and Quacks. But will run line of Herters 72s and 62s together. I also won some higdon redheads I will use if I want to boost redhead numbers. They are like pigeon sized. I’d run all magnums if I had more but don’t hesitate to mix sizes.

8. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I don't see how different sizes of the same species is more realistic. :scratch We are talking about divers right? The only waterfowl dumber are seaducks. Use ALL of your oversized decoys and then add life size if more decoys are needed.

GetDuck and meb like this.
  9. Flyin Brian

Flyin Brian New Member

My line of thought was adult/juvenile birds thinking there may be a slight size difference. I only hunter puddle ducks with my father growing up, divers are new for me thugs year, 30 years later. The divers and I may have something in common for the first year but, I’ll figure them out! Thank you.

10. Missy Skeeter

Missy Skeeter Senior Refuge Member

I like the smaller size so I can fit 2 in each slot.
    In this photo the lower 3 slots have 2 dekes in each slot.
    6pack.JPG