Long line decoy sizes

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by Flyin Brian, Jul 22, 2020.

1. meb

meb Senior Refuge Member

Good luck!!! Once you’ve seen a few divers strafe the decoys at full speed you may be hooked. Nows the time we shoot some sporting clays in prep for the season.

2. Flyin Brian

Flyin Brian New Member

I’m already hooked and haven’t shot the first bird yet, thanks to hours of You Tube! I’m a regular skeet shooter, I’m ready.

3. meb

meb Senior Refuge Member

61F71ADC-647A-450F-9DB9-A2FAF436F8E2.jpeg
    photo of part of our spread last year. Three smallest birds in the pocket are live bills. Since we could only shoot 2 per person last year we did some bird watching. Gonna be even more this year with 1 bird for 45 days.

4. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Divers are dumber than a sack of rocks and come in at full speed. Much like early season teal. They aren't going to notice small size differences. They decoy to 2 liter bottles spray painted black and white.

Location, wind direction and weather are the biggest part of hunting divers. What seals the deal is how you set your spread and where you put your hide in regards to terrain and wind direction. Those are the critical parts you should be thinking about, not minor size differences in realistic decoys.

First page of diver 101, they like open water in front of them when they apraoch the decoys, try pulling them straight into a shoreline and the will be short stopping and flaring off out of range.

dog duck gun likes this.
  5. dog duck gun

dog duck gun Elite Refuge Member

^^^^^^ This
    Pay particular attention to his last sentence

6. Flyin Brian

Flyin Brian New Member

Thank you, I’ll be very focused on it.