Long line question?

Mudtoes

Senior Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked up a 1000 feet of Dacron/polyester 3/16 diameter line for nothing at a garage sale. Pro and cons of using this cord for a long line setup in tidal waters that average 6-10 feet in depth. Never ran a long line before, always used individual rigged decoys. Will this stuff work and hold up? Thanks for any info.

duckbuster5901

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I picked up a 1000 feet of Dacron/polyester 3/16 diameter line for nothing at a garage sale. Pro and cons of using this cord for a long line setup in tidal waters that average 6-10 feet in depth. Never ran a long line before, always used individual rigged decoys. Will this stuff work and hold up? Thanks for any info.
If it sinks & doesn,t float should work. Any idea of breaking strenght of line?

Mudtoes

Senior Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sinks, black in color and breaking strength is 750 pounds. Made in the USA, can melt the ends together on knots. Was free so I thought it was worth picking up.

davhar

Reaction score
It should work fine depending on how you rig it. If you are using 12-slot bags with drops it helps to have rope that is fairly pliant so it can drop into the bottom of the slot before putting in the decoy. Rope that is somewhat stiff can be hard to bunch and stuff in the slot. It will still work, just takes a little longer. I have always had trouble using bags with drops on the longline. Turns into a tangled mess. Found slot bags to work best for us. That said if you don't use dogs you can tie the decoys directly to the longline and use bags or cans. That is just from my experience, but others have used bags with supposed fine results.

Mudtoes

Senior Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It should work fine depending on how you rig it. If you are using 12-slot bags with drops it helps to have rope that is fairly pliant so it can drop into the bottom of the slot before putting in the decoy. Rope that is somewhat stiff can be hard to bunch and stuff in the slot. It will still work, just takes a little longer. I have always had trouble using bags with drops on the longline. Turns into a tangled mess. Found slot bags to work best for us. That said if you don't use dogs you can tie the decoys directly to the longline and use bags or cans. That is just from my experience, but others have used bags with supposed fine results.
Thanks for the reply, but I’m only going to use this as the main line and 250 stiff mono off the decoys to the main line. I’ve got 12 slot bags and round collapsible yard bags for storage.

Mudtoes

Senior Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will hate limp mainlines and mono if you are using lawn bags and leaving decoys clipped.
I will be taking each decoy off and placing in slotted bags and rolling the main line up on an electrical cord spool. The mono is pretty stiff and I don’t think it will be a problem. The mono is super stiff leader material. I might use coated wire cable if the mono is a problem. Some decoys will go into the collapsible round yard bags.
I really appreciate your insight, I’ll see how it works. Might do a trial run before duck season to see how it goes. Water depth where I hunt runs 2-12 depending on location and the tidal fluctuations.

davhar

Reaction score
I will be taking each decoy off and placing in slotted bags and rolling the main line up on an electrical cord spool. The mono is pretty stiff and I don’t think it will be a problem. The mono is super stiff leader material. I might use coated wire cable if the mono is a problem. Some decoys will go into the collapsible round yard bags.
I really appreciate your insight, I’ll see how it works. Might do a trial run before duck season to see how it goes. Water depth where I hunt runs 2-12 depending on location and the tidal fluctuations.
This plan should work good. The mono works good. Shouldn't need coated cable but that would work too.

Rubberhead

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I used to try to roll up the mainline and unclip the decoys. It works but it's work.

Now, I drop the first weight into the first slot then coil the line in that slot until I get to the first decoy. I move to the next adjacent slot and coil the mainline into the bottom of that slot until I get to a decoy and so on. On the last decoy, I body wrap the tag end on the decoy until I get to the weight then put the weight in the bottom of the bag followed by the body wrapped decoy. I hunt alone and this is completely doable even by just one person.