Long line rig vs individual lines

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by adirondack46r, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

I use slotted bags all the time but not everybody does so I was trying to give the OP some ideas...

[​IMG]

2. adirondack46r

adirondack46r Refuge Member

I do have slotted bags. Higdon and Rig 'em Right. My assumption is that the slotted sections are used primarily for the weights so I am not messing up those fanscy schmancy flocked magnum decoys I bought. :)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  3. goosehunter64

goosehunter64 Elite Refuge Member

Long lines for the most part is the essential element in diver hunting....not always but mostly.
    I like single drops along with long lines

4. Dirtybird420

Dirtybird420 Elite Refuge Member

If I was only using 6 decoys it be singles. With that said diver hunting here is a numbers game and big rigs are easier to put out with longlines. We usually mix in a few singles to help shape the spread but that’s about it.

5. Clark

Clark Elite Refuge Member

If I'm only using a few dozen decoys I think individual lines look better. My puddle duck and ringneck decoys are set this way.

If I'm diver hunting I use three or four gang-rig strings, with 3-5 lb anchors holding about 40 yards of mainline and about 18 decoys per line attached using droppers to longline fishing clips. I add a couple dozen single line decoys to make the spread look better. Main advantage of gang-rigs is I can grab one end of the string and pull the rig into the boat, unclip each decoy into a bag and wrap up the string on a spool. It is difficult to maneuver a 20' boat to pick up individual decoys in rough water when hunting alone. Basically have to approach from downwind, grab 2-3 decoys and wrap them while the wind blows me clear of the spread, then circle back upwind to grab 2-3 more - lots of circles with a spread of any size.

Tried using a net rig with 10 lb mushroom anchors on each corner. One day the anchors were not enough to hold the net and it blew down on me in the layout boat. Thought the net was going to capsize the layout and I'd die, so I quit using it.
    NC Net Rig Retrieval - YouTube