Long lines no droppers?

Tuleman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
The only downside I know of is that clipping directly to the mainline means all the decoys will sit in a perfectly straight line on the water. While this may not have any effect on the ducks, it does assault my sense of esthetics.
Having the blocks on droplines of various lengths would allow the decoys to be 'scattered' from a straight line.
That's the only reason I'd do it.

minnducker

Reaction score
Have you ever got your long line tangled in your prop on a windy day while picking up a bird or adjusting the string?
I hunt with a dog, but not having to worry about going between decoys by accident or on purpose is another advantage. I use thin steel cable (1/4-3/8), with 18-24 inch parachute cord drop lines and clips. Cable sinks and dogs and motors go over the top.

Bob Johnson

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
im sad for you, that you will never hunt divers with a dog!!...such a shame... I seldom would even go on a hunt if my dog couldnt come along....I think she lovbes to hunt more than I do. sooo you will always have a tender boat to fetch your crips and dead birds?? or are you going to tear down the blind and motor out with the rig your hunting from??? or the worst, leave your shore blind walk 100 yards down the shore to where you ditched your boat , launch it then try to go find where that cripple swam too??? all the while your buddies on shore couldnt care less where it went, as they were on their cell phones.... that said: there is only ONE drawback to no droppers... you cannot get the boat (accidentally or on purpose) in the spread.... especially if there is wind and or tides or strong current...because you will get the boat angled in the long lines.... I have always used 30" droppers and I can drive my both between the decoys on the same line...IF I HAVE TO!!.... i know some guys spread their spread out wide!.... i like a tight diver spread as it looks more natural..... you may just need to try your setup and after a year with a dozen hunts or so, you can judge if the trouble with droppers is worse than with no droppers

MikeBen

Reaction score
I don’t hunt with a dog but still use three foot drops. The reason being I can motor through my spread without having to worry about tangling up. I never remove my decoys from the main line. I coil mainline with decoys attached in large mouth decoy bags. Remove the anchor and Clip the end on the mouth of the bag. When ready to deploy, take the clip off the mouth of the bag, attach an anchor and drop it in the water, then pay out line/decoys as the wind drifts me back. Zero issues with snags or tangles if you take your time and don’t jumble **** around.

h2ofwlr

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I don’t hunt with a dog but still use three foot drops. The reason being I can motor through my spread without having to worry about tangling up. I
He beat me to it!
I hate getting the motor skeg hooked on the main line on a windy day. :/ My main long line is 270' feet. Motoring all the way around in a PITA, so I use 3' drops.

Rubberhead

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Solo and no dog for me and I use 3' (about 3½' count the clips), 400 lb mono for droppers mostly because I hunt puddlers in a some clear water. It works fine. I never purposefully run the boat between decoys but it's nice to know that if it happens I most likely won't have to pull a main line out of my prop.

jolle

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I do hunt with a dog but also have had to (or been pushed by wind/waves) over a line with the boat and it's nice to slide through decoys instead of get hung on a surface line. I don't use very long lines so I don't think I'd have much problem with no drops either, just haven't done it. I leave decoys connected and in leaf bags.

carolina girl

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have both. Both effective. Use trash cans that double as seats. Not a big dog fan, so not worried about drops. Tilt motor and drift through all the decoys need be

Rubberhead

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
The only downside I know of is that clipping directly to the mainline means all the decoys will sit in a perfectly straight line on the water.

I never pull the mainline taut. I purposefully leave enough slack for the wind and or current to bend the line into a hook. I usually hunt places with some amount of current too so with a little bit of planning I can get a pretty decent J hook. I always have some "fill in the gap" singles to further break up the artificial look of the longlines.

Latest posts