Long range scope selection

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Jose Castro, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Jose Castro

Jose Castro New Member

Hello all!
    I’m looking for suggestions and help with locating an appropriate long-range scope for my new .308.
    Mark Grimsley from IOutdoor has published a great long-range scope article here: https://ioutdoorpursuit.com/long-range-rifle-scope/
    But confused between vortex viper HS-T 6-24x50 and nightforce 5.5-22x56 NXS, which one i should to buy?
    Looking for suggestion or does someone recommend something else?
    Thanks

2. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

If a Nightforce is within your budget for a LR, dialing scope, I’m not sure why you’re even looking at a Vortex?

just sayin

FWIW, I’d personally look at less Xs and smaller objectives, for working within a 308s window....unless you’re trying to count fleas by moonlight on a hog at over 1K. 12-16x <50mm on the top should be more than sufficient. You’ll be rewarded with more clarity and eye box and general usefulness, IMO

callinfowl and Tuleman like this.
  3. Out of focus

Out of focus Senior Refuge Member

Definitely Nightforce.

4. morgan177

morgan177 New Member

Agree, that Nightforce is a great and reliable producer of scopes.

5. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

Do you want front/first focal plane or are you fine with second focal plane. What kind of long range shooting and how far, do you dial or do you like to hold, static targets or dynamic situations in which you must be able to find range via the reticle?

How much money are we working with?

My last scope was the Bushnell XRS 4.5-30 x 50, I believe I was the first civilian not "in the know" to get the FDE, back when $2200 was a decent price. Had the horus h59 reticle. These were tanks, drop it off a cliff, pick it up, blow of the dust and keep going type of scopes, glass wasn't the best, but very useable, tracking, durability, return to zero was above and beyond.

I used Sightron SIII 8-32x56 scopes before it for Fclass and these were always a stellar option, their customer service was excellent for me as well. Glass was great all the way through the mag range, plenty of guys on the fclass scene were going with these.

However, these are both a bit dated given todays options. I always loved having more power, I shot several coyotes sub 30 yards with that 8-32x56 scope and a 308, and on the move, one wasn't more than a body length away when it started, died at about 15 feet just before it got into standing corn.

I love magnification, so I wouldn't shy anyone away from it if it is their love as well. 308 can be pushed a serious distance, and accurately if you're not dealing with outrageous winds.

The snipershide forum may be a great place for you to get good detailed advice on this.

6. ALMODUX

LOL....I’m SERIOUSLY averse to too much magnification, especially if it’s gonna be used outside the range. There’s far too many trade offs in eye box, brightness, weight, aberration, size, complexity, FOV, etc. It’s getting easier to have lots and give up less, but I’d still take 2x on the bottom over 20x on the top, and the various 3-15/4-16/5-20 should be far more than the 6-10x that’ll get you MOA to 1K. It’s your eyes and your use, though....and I’m not addressing class shoots, competitions, etc.....different cat.

Tuleman likes this.
  7. morgan177

morgan177 New Member

Jose Castro, did you try something from AGM scopes? This manufacturer ( found them here: https://www.agmglobalvision.com/ ) says that they one of the first scope producers in US. I don't know much about them, but their thermal imaging stuff is a high quality products, which are made with all the necessary details.

8. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I'm kinda thinking the same way as ALMODUX: can you even begin to use a 20- or 22-power scope on a .308? Don't get me wrong, my next gun will probably be a .308 but it does have it's limitations. As far as brand of scope goes, get the most expensive one your budget will allow.

9. longshot

longshot Senior Refuge Member

You can always turn down a scopes power, but if you need more and do not have it you are stuck. I use a 6.5-20 power scope on both of my 223 rifles. I use 20X at 100 yards shooting targets. I leave them on 20X while shooting prarie dogs. It depends on what you plan on using the scope for. A 308 with 168gr bullets is viable to about 600 yards depending on the elevation and muzzle velocity. If you intend to shoot further than that you will need the 175gr+ bullets(referring to the sierra MK line of bullets). Everything is a trade off. Yes there are ballistically better cartridges for long distance shooting, but the 308 is a good choice for learning every aspect of long range shooting AND has great barrel life. For example the FTR class of Fclass shooting is out to 1000 yards typically and is limited to 223 & 308 only. What limits the "range" of a cartridge is the distance that a particular bullet drops below the sound barrier. When you get to that point you run into issues with stability and inconsistent bullet flight. Yes, you can use a 10X scope at long range, but it is not ideal for longer range high precision shooting situations. The vortex viper HST is not in the same class as the nightforce NXS. Nightforce has a pretty long history for durability and reliability and consistency of clicks for dialing for range.

10. ALMODUX

You can always turn up a scope to whatever the top end is, for planning a long shot. Conversely, you ain’t getting more field of view, depth of field, and ease in eye box or getting behind it, in the split second you are liable to need it. I (and most folks) can hit with 6-10x top end limitation, at over 500, far better than they can be fast at under 50 with any variable that starts above 5x. We can do this all day, but needs are what they are. For hunting at most any sane range, the needs are different than shooting targets or ringing steel from a bench. Your needs will dictate. Xs come with a price, no matter what shows at shot. I’d rather have a good reticle, FOV, and eye box over another 4x on the top end.