Longlines Dragging in 2 foot swells

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by GoldenEyeGal, Jan 23, 2019.

1. GoldenEyeGal

GoldenEyeGal Senior Refuge Member

We are having a problem with our longlines being dragged into each other in only 2 foot swells. we are in 10 feet of water, have 12 oversized decoys per line, with 3 lb. barbell weights on each end and 17 feet of scope at the end of each line. any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance Jen

Attached Files:

2. likesbigspreads

likesbigspreads Elite Refuge Member

Either need to lengthen the line to the weight or double the weight size.

LA in ATL likes this.
  3. saltdux

saltdux Elite Refuge Member

You need more weight. Especially in the salt where you have tide and current even on a calm day. Up here it is not uncommon to drop 15-20lb of pyramid weights to hold the longlines in place. Especially if there is a big tide swing,weather, swell and/or soft bottom.

4. meb

meb Senior Refuge Member

We don’t hunt salt but had same issue last year on Lake Erie. I started making my own long line weights out of ABS plastic pipe filled with lead and concrete. No matter how the weight lands a “cup” or two digs into bottom. I also like plastic pipe because we stow the downwind (lighter) anchor in the bottom of the bag with our burlapped decoys and smooth plastic doesn’t beat them up as badly. ABS pipe fittings are more expensive than you’d think but still pretty inexpensive make to your own specs weight. This model was perfect for this past season as upwind anchor.

Attached Files:

creedsduckman and coachcornbread like this.
  5. meb

meb Senior Refuge Member

I make the downwind anchors lighter and a different shape so we can wrap the tag end of the main line and put the weight in bottom of the leaf bag, stack the decoys and then wrap the upwind tag end around cord wrap and place on top of decoys. Few tangles and very effective this year.

Attached Files:

6. BAYDOG

BAYDOG Global Moderator Sponsor Moderator

Phelps,New York (Heart of the Finger Lakes)
    I use 13" brake rotors. You can get them for free, they have holes to clip lines on, and store in a pail and stack.

7. Jim Dandy

Jim Dandy Elite Refuge Member

I use 3# grapple anchors. Never had a line walk in any conditions. I usually go 15 or 16 decoys per line. Soft mud bottom. Those weights you have will just slide on a muddy bottom. I used to use old sash weights and they would walk frequently. Not any more.

Dandy

8. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

Drill another hole on the other side and use a 4" eyebolt but don't cut it off. The "foot" should dig into sand/mud or catch on vegetation. Of course, it might punch a hole in the boat or someone's knee too - never mind...

9. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Elite Refuge Member

I have 6lb window weights on either end of my lines. Never had issues with them walking.

DANNY NEWELL likes this.
  10. DANNY NEWELL

DANNY NEWELL Elite Refuge Member

This is what I use.The other day the wind shifted and I had put a 3# on the down
    wind end and 6# upwind.The wind changed and the 3# ened up on the upwind side.
    These were goose decoys and they didn't hold to well.

Danny