Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Looking for a new smoker - Any recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by fowlwhacker, May 19, 2020.

1. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

so after being locked up for a while in the house due to the covid thing I got around to cleaning the garage. came across an old brinkman cylinder charcoal smoker I hadn't used in years. almost decided to take it to the dump but decided to smoke up a brisket. it turned out great but got me thinking about upgrading.

been doing all kinds of research on electric, propane, pellet and the traditional wood offset smoker. getting mixed reviews across the line good and bad.

was looking at some propane models that were wide but most have 2 burners and folks say it is hard to get the 2 burner models to consistently heat right. most of the other 40" or smaller units folks say they are not wide enough to get a full brisket or rack of ribs on without cutting.
    the two door models that allow you to put in wood chips or add water seem nice.

all say don't trust the temp setting or thermometer that they come with.

any of you all have any experience with any that you are pleased with?

2. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator

I like my Traeger. I can run it and adjust it using my phone. Can program as well. Normally run smoke temp for 4 hours. Then bump up to cooking temp and use probe to control temp. If I have to, I'll run home and wrap in foil or butcher paper if appropriate, and add acouple ounces of apple juice or apple cider.

3. boodog

boodog Elite Refuge Member

I'm going to buy a Masterbuilt 1050 gravity charcoal smoker. I've researched smokers a lot over the last 3 months and, although I'm not a Masterbuilt fan, this one looks like the real deal. I own 4 smokers from a Little Chief to a Camp Chef pellet smoker and I just can't can't get sufficient smoke from a pellet smoker even using a smoke tube with it. My second choice would be an Old Country gravity smoker, but it is only sold by Academy Sports and they won't ship b/c of weight and we don't have any stores locally.

4. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator

thatguy2 likes this.
  5. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

How much of an investment in time/effort do you want to make? You want to sit around, drink beer/bourbon/iced tea.....whatever and tend a stick fired smoker all day? That's cool, I get it but I don't have the time.

Buy electric and never look back. I have a little 30" Masterbuilt and it works great, they make a 40" as well. Cookshack makes more expensive ones and I am sure they are "better" but I have no complaints on mine.

goosenazi likes this.
  6. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

This will be next after the Traeger dies. Traeger has been on fire a couple times. Had a green mountain and hated it. Gave my Masterbuilt to my brother. He has had to rewire it but its still kicking.

7. jjgoose

jjgoose Senior Refuge Member

I have a Bradly electric smoker that uses the premade wood bisquittes. 4 rack smoker. I absolutely love it. Digital controls/thermostat align well with the internal probe

DanL likes this.
  8. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

How much you wanna spend? You like playing with fire or just want to set and forget it?

9. Hawk

Hawk Elite Refuge Member

You need to decide what size meat you want to cook and how much you want to spend and go from there, I'd say. I, like someone else mentioned use a Masterbuilt electric. Holds plenty of meat for me, but I do have to cut a brisket or racks of ribs. Cost $140, I also bought the smokebox attachment for it which I got on sale at one time for $60, because it gave extra wood feed time, and allowed me to cold smoke things.

As for smoker temps, a good meat probe thermometer will be your friend more than any temp the smoker says anyways.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  10. Ruination

Ruination Elite Refuge Member

I had a charbroil electric which was amazing until the connections to the heat unit corroded away. A well known defect with this particular smoker.