Looking for guides to hunt Lake Okeechobee

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by MallardGuy, Jan 18, 2019.

1. MallardGuy

MallardGuy Refuge Member

My dad and two brothers and I are trying to set up a trip down to Lake Okeechobee. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on any guides. Thank you in advance.

2. duckmanJR

duckmanJR Senior Refuge Member

Okeechobee is very slow..... This may not be the year.

3. MallardGuy

MallardGuy Refuge Member

Thank you for the heads up! It wouldn't be until next year anyways, I was just starting to look at guides, pricing, etc.. and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or people that I should look into.

4. duckmanJR

I know some people...

But unless you are trying for a few select species like Fulvous, Blackbelly, and Mottled....or a late season mounter quality Blue wing or Green wing....Florida is just not the great waterfowl mecca it once was. Many reasons for this and each year is different. This season there is a drastic difference in habitat conditions thru the state.

5. MallardGuy

MallardGuy Refuge Member

Shooting some of those species that we don't get up here in Indiana is the main reason that we are wanting to come down. Hopefully all the ones you named plus some ringnecks lol.

6. duckmanJR

If you get with me in August - September....I can probably help you plan and go freelance and get your birds.....but if you still want a guide...I can put you in touch.

7. MallardGuy

MallardGuy Refuge Member

Thank you so much for your help! The only reason we were looking for a guide is because we don’t know the area, we can’t really scout, and getting our own boat and equipment down there from Indiana would be a lot more difficult.

8. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

Personally, I wouldn't bother hunting there ( I never have), but I'd definitely fish there any chance that I could. If you like catching 10 or 12 bass over 5 pounds in a day, or pulling out a few that look like toasters, I've got a guide I can recommend.

9. MallardGuy

MallardGuy Refuge Member

Thank you for the help, but we're not big into fishing. Too boring for my liking...

10. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

I could only imagine a few things more boring than an Okeechobee duck hunt.