Looking for guides to hunt Lake Okeechobee

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by MallardGuy, Jan 18, 2019.

1. MallardGuy

MallardGuy Refuge Member

That sucks hearing that lol. I figured all the guides' sites couldn't all be very accurate. We're just chasing some ducks we don't typically get into up here in Indiana. Especially some black bellies, fulvous, and ringers

2. duckmanJR

duckmanJR Senior Refuge Member

LOL....Great advice from someone who has not actually done it.... :l

3. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

Thanks!

I've been there plenty...sometimes even during duck season. If that was where I had to do my duck hunting, I'd probably take up shuffleboard, or basket weaving instead.

Florida bass fishermen would likely say the same thing about fishing in Missouri with a few exceptions.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  4. jzee

jzee Elite Refuge Member

I spent many years hunting Florida with my Brother, When he first moved down there, I would trail my boat down from Northern IL.

Boring would be the last word I would describe it as. On slow days, the swamp itself is entertaining, wether it be the Gators, Snakes, or some non waterfowl type of bird, there was always something going on. Heck the Coots waking up in the morning was wild. As stated in some of the above posts, like everywhere hunting is not what it use to be. No guarantees. Been on some absolutely awesome teal and ring neck hunts down there. No luck with the Tree ducks. One of my Non Hunting Highlights was we actually got to see a Florida Panther, unfrecking believable. Pre cell phone cameras and could not get to my camera, but that is one image I will never forget.

Duckmanjr’s offer is one of the few things left that makes this site still worth coming on, Florida is a sportsmen’s paradise, if you are going to drive down, and have a mudmotor I would take him up on his offer, Okeechobee is a adventure itself.

If you make it down make sure you post a trip report. Heck typing this post has got me thinking I need to get back down there.

5. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

yep.

I'm not knocking his generous offer. I'm certain he would be a good host.

6. duckmanJR

A mud motor is not really even needed for those "special birds" you guys want....You had a site member here who was guided...in a canoe...He shot within 1/4 mile of me...and we all shot those birds.
    Time is more important because...well...It's hunting. A man who can hunt Fri morning thru Wed morning...has a great chance of doing the "big 3" ...or it could happen in the first hour.......or the last. I've seen both.

MallardGuy likes this.
  7. MallardGuy

MallardGuy Refuge Member

What would you say the best time of year would be?

8. duckmanJR

If you are wanting the Tree ducks and a mottled....opening day / week....everyone is pretty dumb. LOL

Adult birds have no noticeable change in plumage in those species.

MallardGuy likes this.