Looking to get a rifle accurized. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by The Other David, Jun 10, 2021.

1. hobbydog

hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

it may just be the post got wore down over time as weel. Each time you remove it and tighten it back up, especially if over tightened could bring the barrel in contact with the forearm. If the stock side looks like it has taken a little indentation, maybe try a thin shim. If nothing else it may get the dollar bill moving and find out where the next it may be touching.

ibfowl likes this.
  2. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

Going to pull it apart...

3. ibfowl

ibfowl Senior Refuge Member

The reason he loosened mine is the stock has a slight warp too it and contacts the barrel when torqued to specs. All I know is I can shoot walnuts off the tree again at 50 yards.
    I didn't describe the whole situation very well. This could be the case with his gun as well, was my thought.

Sorry!!!

Farm4wildlife likes this.
  4. JoJer

JoJer Senior Refuge Member

I glass bedded my Rem 700 '06 about 10 years ago and added a Timney trigger. It's no secret that your Win factory trigger is probably as good as my aftermarket. Improved the accuracy, but you should know, it does add some weight and it may feel very different 'til you get some rounds down range. I got a freebie long range school put together by a PD sniper. They had me hitting a harrow disc at 800 yds repeatedly. Prone/bipod with a Nikon Prostaff 3X9 (took me a looonnng time to crank that much elevation into that scope!) and Rem Corlokt 165's. I was not surprised; I always knew the gun shot better than I did.

The Other David likes this.
  5. quack1

quack1 Senior Refuge Member

Didn't notice if this was mentioned, but you can shim the action enough to float the barrel. This will allow you to see if barrel contact with the stock is the cause of your accuracy loss, before altering the stock. Put the shim on the flat where the front action screw hole is. When you are doing this , look to see if the wood between the recoil lug and the magazine cut out is cracked. If cracked, that could be the source of your problem. Glass bedding the action will fix that. When tightening the action screws- front tight, rear snug and middle one just tight enough to let the floorplate close completely. If accuracy returns, remove the shim, sand the barrel channel until a piece of paper passes between the barrel and wood. A thin coat of finish in the channel and the job is done.

The Other David likes this.
  6. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

I have a date with him next week. He said he spoke with you. Thanks!

Farm4wildlife likes this.
  7. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

8. 15thTN

15thTN Elite Refuge Member

Probably could use a good bed job. Maybe try some good match rounds of different weights to see if that helps.

If you want to run yourself crazy, get a Mini 14, and try to get it accurate. I put a reduced sized gas bushing in it, tried different stocks, and put a barrel stiffener on it. Put a new front sight system, with a flash hider on it as well. Shot all kinds of different rounds and weights, and the Hornady steel case match rounds yield dinner plate sized groups at 50yds. It is what it is, and can't be anymore than what it is, a fun plinker. My Ruger AR is more accurate than I am, so if I want decent groups that's what I grab.

As mentioned by others, action screws can drive you nuts. I've got a Marlin 22 that if I every pull the action from the barrel, I have to check POI after I put everything back together. I shoot, and if it's off I loosen the screw. Keep doing that until the POI gets back in line. Back when I shot it alot more, I could almost get it back together just right.

They can be too tight, or too loose. Before I figured out what caused it, I chased my tail for 2hrs. Could not figure out why my decently accurate rifle, was all over the place. Back in my better eyes days, I could head shoot squirrels with it at 50yds with open sights. With the action screw out of wack, you can't hit a pie plate with it.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  9. Fogie

Fogie Senior Refuge Member

It took probably 2000 rounds to get my Mini Ranch head knocking does, wouldn't hit anything til broken in apparently.

10. Josh carpenter

Josh carpenter Refuge Member