California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Lost fisherman - anyone know these guys?

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by NORCALDUCK, Jul 15, 2010.

1. NORCALDUCK

NORCALDUCK Elite Refuge Member

Prayers for the families and friends:

http://yourtown.pressdemocrat.com/2010/07/bodega-bay/search-suspended-for-missing-fishermen/

2. HUND

HUND Elite Refuge Member

Don't sound good. That close to shore is just asking for troubble

3. LHudson

LHudson New Member

Our local paper reported that they were experinced fishing the area. Their friends say that the only reason they would be that close to shore is if they were having engine problems. Still doesn't expalin why they weren't wearing their PFDs.

4. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA. Moderator

If they where having boat problems then they would most likely be smart enough to put on their PDF.
    My guess would be they where inshore rock fishing.A lot of guy's think well we are in so tight,I don't need this stupid PDF on.
    My guess is they where fishing the rocks and got caught by a sleeper wave and rolled on one the many submerged rocks.
    Sad day !

5. habbilus

habbilus Senior Refuge Member

I think they were fishing for halibut close to the surf. The halibut are close in this time of years.
    Prayers for their families and friends.

6. AJCsurf

AJCsurf Elite Refuge Member

I was out on a research vessel out of bodega bay that day and it was crazy hearing the helicopters and boats talk on the radio conducting their searches.

The swells were not big at all that day and were really calm, the beach where it happened was pretty much shorebreak, and It's really sad that an onlooker called this in with 4 people alive and the now they are dead directly adjacent to the coast guard training center. Over the radio we noticed there was tons of issues with gas limitations which is bad as well. If you watch the news broadcasts of where the boat washed ashore, its pretty much shore break (i.e. you could stand up) and from what we gathered on the radio was that 4 people were clinging to the hull when he called it in. I'm guessing a mix of hypothermia, no pfds, and lack of the ability to swim longer than 20yds led to this tragedy....

puts a damper on the day when all you hear is the search and rescue guys discussing S&R patterns and strategies for 6 hours....

was this a good first post for me?
    AJ

7. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA. Moderator

much better them what type of vacuum should I buy, or what's the best salad spinner on the market.:clap:flame:flame:flame
    Welcome to the fuge !

8. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

sad sad sad.... they are local guys from Oakdale and Riverbank..

This sad news has been on alot of fishing web sites since weds evening.. I hear of this kind of tradedy ever so often and wonder how or why???

I spend 150 days a year on the water and most of the time don't wear a life jacket full time.. but I keep getting this pounded into my head as I read about this kind of stuff.

So often we say it will never happen to me... WRONG... it can and it will happen fast !!

I'm going to invest in a new style light weight model to wear both duck hunting and fishing while in a boat.. I have several buddies that are rolling with them already and have been for a couple years now.

The new stuff you don't even know you are wearing them and the cost (if you can put a value on life) is getting alot better than 250.00 plus when they first came out.

http://www.modbee.com/2010/07/15/1253401/2-dead-2-missing-after-oakdale.html

9. davkrat

davkrat Elite Refuge Member

Between the turntables with the Vodka and the mixe
    That's terrible news. My thoughts are with the families.

Good idea Mark :tu When I worked full time in the Delta I wore a PFD 6-8 hours a day and was being way more physically active than I ever am while fishing from a boat. Just put them on at the dock and take them off when the boat is on the trailer. I have seen first hand how fast things can go bad. At the end of a long hot day I pulled my boat up to a dock at Brannon Island and my co-worker was in another boat docking at the same time. I bent down to tie up my boat and looked up to see someone laying on the ground, sprinting it still took me 20 seconds or so to get over there. Somehow one of the people working on the other boat had caught his foot exiting the boat. When I got to him there was a 3 foot diameter pool of blood and he was motionless. The docks at Brannon Island are very heavily corrugated aluminum that looks like a cheese grater. The guy rolled over and came to after a short while but was totally out of it, did not know his name, the president, what year it was where he was why he was there???? One of the scariest things I've seen in my life. If he had rolled another foot to the side he would have been in the drink and it may have been real nasty. I also know from falling or intentionally jumping in how hard it is to climb back in to a non-ski boat without ladders or a low side. Just think if you hit your head while you were with young kids who could not help lift you or hold you up in deep water.

It's worthless to speculate but being 40 yards from shore with shore break seems like with a pfd you could easily body surf back to land. I've surfed in overhead 6'-8' waves before and while I was water tight as a bullfrog and more than 50 yards from shore I could easily swim back in. The bottom line is it sounds like lives could have been saved if life jackets were on and not under the seat. Get the new inflatable kind and you won't even know they are there. I personally wear the kayak style that allow more freedom of movement.