Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Lowa boots...

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by freefall, Jun 30, 2020.

1. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

Do any of you have experience with Lowa boots? I’m looking for a new pair for backpack hunting in WY & CO & the Lowa’s caught my eye.

Any feedback or advice would be appreciated.

2. jcneng

jcneng Senior Refuge Member

Good experience here with the Renegade GTX. Definitely not a heavy duty back country boot but perfect for my needs.

freefall likes this.
  3. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Elite Refuge Member

I'd recommend going somewhere to try them. Everyone has different feet. I know I tried several, can't remember what all they were, most were too narrow for my feet. Then tried Zamberlan since they made a wide. It was too wide and the regular fits perfectly. Took about 40 miles to break in, but love them. Own a few pairs now. Boots are quite personal. Try as many on as possible, generally the best ones are still made in Italy.

freefall likes this.
  4. fishnfool

fishnfool Elite Refuge Member

Crazy timing for this thread....I was just standing in a thigh deep muddy and wet ditch a few hours after digging up a busted pool line thinking how amazing these boots have been.

I'm coming up on year 4 of nearly daily wear for hiking, dog work, yard work, tree cutting, cabin building, upland hunting, snowshoeing/shoveling, etc.

The rubber is falling apart in the toebox and the outer layer is split open at the toe crease, but damn they are STILL 100% waterproof.

Best boot I've ever owned.

20200630_220558.jpg

stevena198301 and freefall like this.
  5. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

I have the Lowa Renegade II. I'd guess that they are 15 or 20 years old and they are still going strong but I only use them maybe 2 or 3 weeks out of the year. They are likely too light for your backpacking off trail as I don't think they have enough ankle support.

The main thing is try them for fit and get them broke in.

freefall likes this.
  6. Rice Hunter

Rice Hunter Elite Refuge Member

My lowas were fine for light hiking. When I tried to use them for backcountry hunts carrying heavy loads, they were done early. I still have them, but don't know why.

7. drahthaarducker

drahthaarducker Elite Refuge Member

How would they be for upland hunting?

jcneng likes this.
  8. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Elite Refuge Member

Also if you have trouble finding places to try look up Lathrop and sons. They will send you a template that you trace your feet on, then recommend boots for you.

https://lathropandsons.com/

Looks like they are making their own boots now. Thought they were fitting you to other boot companies. Either they changed or I was wrong with what they did. Looks similar to White's boots.

freefall likes this.
  9. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Are they made in the U.S.A.? I didn't see anything to that. For the cost I would hope they were/are!

10. fishnfool

fishnfool Elite Refuge Member

I'd bust out the muck boots if hunting deep and wet river bottoms or crossing lots of streams, but they have done me well in the grouse woods and woodcock cover.

I can't stand heavy bulky boots. I don't own any "hunting boots", and I hike and backpack (multi-day trips in mountains with a heavy pack) in light trail running shoes.

IMO ankle support is a non issue. Fatigue is what causes ankle injuries, and that's only punctuated by very heavy and bulky boots that try to compensate for weak muscles and tendons. Better to build ankle strength than rely on laces and leather.

freefall and drahthaarducker like this.