Lower ballpoint

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by Little Ruddy, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Think mine needs replacing on f 150. Squeak in passenger side front tire area. Was told that they are not greasable. Any thoughts on what it could be? Truck has 230,000 miles.

2. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

I'm assuming you mean lower ball joint. Not hard to check. Lot's of U-tube videos. A squeak is potentially a symptom, when they get real bad there's a clunking sound, and excessive vibration. The squeak could also be a worn wheel bearing. It the squeak constant or intermittent? It could also be in the brakes.

3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I had a squeak that ended up being my catalytic (steel) rubbing against my transfer case (aluminum). Steel won. Luckily I caught it before it was more than a small drip. Steel fin had rubbed all the way through in short order. Thought it was my running board.

Lots of different reasons for them. Best to find it.

Phytoplankton likes this.
  4. jdb

jdb Refuge Member

Get a basket ball pump needle and a assortment of grease fittings ,find a fitting that will screw inside the needle. sharpen the needle and poke it thru the rubber boot at the top rib and grease till the boot starts to expand.

5. JHerr

JHerr Elite Refuge Member

JB Weld bro.