M2 problems...

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Zekeland, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Zekeland

Zekeland Senior Refuge Member

My 11 year old M2 has not been working properly. It sat in the safe for most of the fall. I tried it on the first snow hunt last week and same ol chit.

This gun was just fully disassembled 3 weeks ago by a licensed gunsmith and everything was squeaky clean and in working order. This gunsmith did replace the recoil spring about 3-4 years ago. Is the spring wore out already? Its not like I am shooting cases and cases a year. This gun usually has no problems cycling all types of steel, just a bit picky with trap loads.

Its not locking fully on the 2nd shell. If I'm shooting horizontally it will eject and feed new shell completely but not lock/twist. If I'm shooting over head it will barely eject the spent hull.

Do I need to run a touch of oil on the rails every couple weeks? Never used to have to use oil all the time with this gun in the past.

Is there another part that may wear out over 10+ years of use?

2. 15thTN

15thTN Elite Refuge Member

Maybe a bad spring?? Sometimes bad parts do make it out of the factory.

Are you sure you have the gun held firmly against your shoulder? I've heard of people having cycling issues with, recoil operated shotguns, when they didn't have the gun firmly shouldered.

mmayes likes this.
  3. stoneyhu717

stoneyhu717 Senior Refuge Member

Do you store your gun with the action open? Storing a gun with the action open will keep the return spring under constant pressure, and can weaken it.

ronaldo and oleww like this.
  4. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

All you need is moisture getting into the recoil spring tube, then sit
    Remove the tube, spray the drain hole and see what come out.
    I replaced with an aftermarket spring and tube; problems solved. I clean and lightly lube the tube twice a year.

ronaldo and JFG like this.
  5. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Elite Refuge Member

In shell lifter mechanism there is a little pin towards rear that can cause hickups in feeding/ ejection when not in proper position. I sent a 12 y.o. m2 20 back to benelli for warrenty work on this. Mine would only fail to feed completely on 2nd shell coming out of mag tube and then sporatically. Had replaced mag spring and recoil spring already but getting that pin in proper position was the fix.

JFG likes this.
  6. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Could be one of the above, but my Benellis have liked oil, and when I feel an action starting to slow, a squirt of oil on each bolt rail usually keeps them running quite a while before cleaning is required. This one finally "clicked":
    upload_2021-4-7_8-21-15.jpeg

upload_2021-4-7_8-21-37.jpeg

upload_2021-4-7_8-22-6.jpeg

bustsducks likes this.
  7. Zekeland

Zekeland Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for the help guys.

Gun is stored with action closed all the time. Will investigate the options listed above.

ronaldo likes this.
  8. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

What the heck Rick,.. Your picks really got me laughing

Oh yeah a little unknown problem,.. proper position of the pin is critical. .
    A bud had broke his gun down on a Wyoming goose hunt. . That little pin looked the same every direction but there is an index mark on the pin the was crucial on his gun

9. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

That seems to be a trait of some , Southern waterfowlers !
    They ain't lazy , just forgetful , with hurrying to get some Gumbo ! I'm kinda thinking he's waiting to see if his dog will do it as it does everything else ?

10. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Or too busy cleaning Miss Chereau's dog:
    upload_2021-4-8_16-39-34.jpeg

The guns are just bird guns. If they eventually get cruddy enough to hiccup, a bird get to live. Which is a heck of a lot more important to it than me.