Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Macks today...

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Drundel, Feb 9, 2019.

1. jolle

jolle Elite Refuge Member

Very true. Plus not everyone does or likes to hunt with 12 guns, emptying 100 rounds per volley. Smaller groups of guys may kill same average per gun and only get 30 or 50 as a group of 10 guys. It's all relative, and too many people get caught up in the count anyway.

creedsduckman and Drakes Landing like this.
  2. Swuebber

Swuebber Refuge Member

I hope there is no controversy over this. We don’t need any negative news to be fed to anti hunters. I still think this was a bad idea, and hope it’s the last sponsored hunt of this type.

Drakes Landing likes this.
  3. Drakes Landing

Drakes Landing Senior Refuge Member

Hillybilly/Jolle, I think you both nailed it. Been chasing a long time and really seriously for the past 12 years. Have had many what I consider to be great hunts. We rarely have more than 6 and more often than not have 2-4. If we shoot in the 20-30 range per day on average (6-8 birds per guy) we are happy. We prefer decoying birds and shots in the 20-30 yard range so we pass on shots we could potentially make at times. Have NEVER killed over 100 and I have hunted 20+ days every Spring season. I have been on hunts where 2 of us killed 49...............a tremendous hunt and one that clearly would have been over 100 if we had 10 guys pounding away at them. Not important at all IMO as it is about the quality of the hunt and watching birds whiffle into the decoys that makes it all worth while. We don't pay a guide and are do it your self'ers so for us having a really great hunt is defined a bit differently I guess. Spending time with your best friends coupled with some reasonable success makes it all worth it for me.

Can't wait to get started here in NW Missouri but mother nature is not playing very nice yet.

Good luck.

4. Empty Skies

Empty Skies Elite Refuge Member

What I know from hunting in Ark the last couple weeks is they are extremely tough to decoy this year. Never seen anything like it, have tried everything except massive #s of decoys, don't have it as I use a thou or so windsocks. 2 hunters all white with backboards, rotaries no rotaries, fliers no fliers, flagging no flagging, donut no donut, loud, medium, low volume. X or flyway. From everything I am hearing that is the norm of low #s of birds commiting. Tough, tough, tough, good luck as it is still fun trying.

5. Wapiti@67

Wapiti@67 Senior Refuge Member

The reports coming from down south are tough to listen to for sure. We all knew it was going to be a tough year, but most of us probably did not imagine it being this tough. But as I've said before, it's years like this that will make a bunch of us better snow goose hunters. And it will allow many to get good deals on used snow goose decoys and equipment!

PorkChop likes this.
  6. Drakes Landing

Drakes Landing Senior Refuge Member

I really don't want to do this but strongly considering running everything we have in the water this year...................floaters, shells and full bodies (leave socks in the totes). Would have to lower our water level slightly to get it at a level where we could float the floaters but not everything else! Thinking it may be a way to entice them and be ultra realistic. At least a bit unique. Problem with the theory is periodic freeze ups throughout the Spring!

7. grande long

grande long Senior Refuge Member

White geese are just like Vegas "most days your going to lose" so you have to enjoy it to do it.

bullpinnie and Drakes Landing like this.
  8. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

I don't snow goose hunt but I'd rather kill 30-50 with 3-5 guys than 100+ with 10 guys.

KID CREOLE likes this.
  9. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

I like that idea. I'd rather shoot anything over water.

10. Mudtoes

Mudtoes Senior Refuge Member

Really there is such a contest??? Sorry but I really have a problem with this and may decide to place my business with a company that doesn’t promote such a contest. I’d like to know what corporate sponsors there were as I would avoid them too!
    After 55 years of waterfowl hunting I can’t believe how much things have changed and how it has become about bird numbers shot and not about the tradition and sportsmanship. This spray and pray attitude, my pile is bigger than yours personally makes me sick.
    Just my thoughts about this!