Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Macks today...

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Drundel, Feb 9, 2019.

1. captaininsano050

captaininsano050 Senior Refuge Member

I'm guessing you hate the fishing tournaments too? If people have the opportunity, they're usually going to pick to shoot more birds than less. Make more money than make less. It seems like you hate human nature. Can't you shoot a ton of snows and still be a sportsman who loves tradition?

creedsduckman likes this.
  2. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

You beat me to it. I'm not saying I agree but how much different is this than a fishing tournament really?

3. Mudtoes

Mudtoes New Member

creedsduckman likes this.
  4. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

To each his own.....I guess I don't see anything wrong with this. People will do the same things when hunting whether they are in a contest or not. And no laws were broken. After all, Biologist say we need to shoot as many snows as possible. Thus the liberalization of the rules. I'm just not interested in entering a contest like this.

Hopefully the poor hatch will lower the population. At least until the next hatch like last year.

goosenazi and bill cooksey like this.
  5. Mudtoes

Mudtoes New Member

Ken,
    What I see wrong with this is hunting isn’t a contest to me. When 8-10 “shooters” with 8-10 shots open up on a flock of geese and empty their guns exactly how many geese do they cripple? I’ve seen the videos, and it seems to be a spray and pray shooting binge.
    I really don’t think the videos or contests really do anything to enhance the image of hunters or hunting in the general public’s eye. And that is something that we as hunters really need to be concerned about if we wish to see our tradition to continue in the future.

6. Alrik-MN

Alrik-MN Senior Refuge Member

So your opinion is to not hunt with more than 1 other person and only 1 person shoots at a time? That's fine n nothing wrong with that, ur opinion. Sounds fun. As far as snow goose hunting goes for the people that are dedicated to it who have put the time, effort, and $ to do it year after year are pry some of the most dedicated waterfowlers when it comes to heritage and history. You dont decide to build a snow goose rig if your not obsessed. As far as your mentality of only shooting a couple birds I think most snow goose hunters would say that's closer to reality. Way to many people expect way to much when going for the first time. Just like you said you see all the videos. So if you went on a goose hunt with some buddies and shot 0, would that be a disappointment? But on the days when the gettings good, you better get. You could call it a little payback from all the work and heartache of previous hunts haha. Yes cripples happen in any type of hunting, but its nature. Rarely is there every a free meal wasted. Looking @ light goose numbers, they still have the upper hand last time I checked. As for the contest think most people have mixed feelings. Cant exactly say it's wrong but you can choose to not take part and give your business to other companies. But doing such without voicing your opinion to Mack's 1st will do nothing to help stop the contest unless they get feedback.

hunting1 likes this.
  7. joecitrano

joecitrano Elite Refuge Member

What I mean is $ will taint any contest and distort the usual methods because a cash purse is involved. My example of a marlin tournament is the same group of guys would badmouth to no end anyone who kills a white marlin( which can legally be harvested) but if it’s a big $ tournament it suddeny becomes ok? So a snow goose hunter who’d never ditch sneak or roost shoot suddenly has no problem doing so because he can profit . $ will make people do many unethical things. I’m all for fishing tournaments just don’t be a Hippocrate when $ is on the line

Mudtoes likes this.
  8. Mudtoes

Mudtoes New Member

First off I am a snow goose hunter, love hunting them and lease a couple hundred acres in the middle of the Sacramento Valley to hunt them in. I do have a huge spread of snow goose decoys and put the time and effort into setting it up, and love shooting them over decoys.
    I do hunt with more than one guy at a time and we all shoot when a flock works in but we all seem to prefer shooting small groups that decoy.
    Part of my point is when you have a “contest” to see who can bring in the most birds you “can” create a situation in which people may take unethical shots as “numbers” may mean you win or lose the contest. This type of scenario can cause people to do things or take shots they normally wouldn’t take. I’m sure you have seen some of the videos on YouTube where these “shooters” empty 8-10 rounds in a spray and pray manner. I just think that does a disservice to the hunting community.
    Having hunted waterfowl since I was a kid I’ve seen waterfowl limits rise and fall and am well aware of the snow goose over population problem.
    Whenever I have a chance I explain this to non hunters, they actually for the most part have no idea and I have educated a lot of people on this and turned some anti’s into people who now support hunters, or at least now understand what is happening to the tundra.
    Over the years I have probably been pegged by the USFWS 10 times for surveys on wings and tail feathers, to keep a log on days hunted, birds shot and retrieved and crippling loses.
    I will probably send Mack’s an email and voice my concern, as I really don’t believe this contest benefits the hunting community as a whole.
    Wishing you the best during upcoming season, may your hits be deadly and your missed clean!

KID CREOLE and sully like this.
  9. captaininsano050

You really think that if you put out a "good image" then somehow that will stop people who don't like hunting from making hunting illegal. That's just not true.

You also assume there is enough support to actually make hunting illegal. That's also not true.

People get to exercise their rights in their own ways. I understand you, and everyone, won't agree with it.

10. captaininsano050

So do you work for free so that your efforts aren't spoiled by evil money? Or is there are way to do it that keeps your integrity intact?

I see nothing wrong with jump shooting or "roost" shooting snows. The snows aren't here for long anyways.