Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Macks today...

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Drundel, Feb 9, 2019.

1. jolle

jolle Elite Refuge Member

It brings a distaste to my mind for sure, although I'm not sure it will further degrade hunter ethics and courtesy as I think they are already pretty low. I'm not a tournament fisherman, but have been displeased with the discourtesy of tournament bass fisherman numerous times. When money is involved it gives further incentive for people to be selfish, and that as a whole can go south. So I'm not sure I would promote the banning of either as I dont want other freedoms that I enjoy to be infringed upon, but believe we should watch the effects they create and consider the health of our sport going forward.

The snow goose CO has definitely caused some less ethical practices to be the norm or considered OK. Unplugged guns with spray and pray into geese far out of ideal range being one of them. Jumping roosts likely to have mixed species another. People say "but that's the point of the CO to kill as many as possible, who cares about crips the coyotes will eat them". Well, as a lifelong hunter and conservationist, this degrades our respect of the creature and it's well-being which in my opinion is always a dangerous road to walk down. The government initially made the CO out of concern for the species and others (some may question if this was true intent) and this was a tool to possibly help it. But people use the government allowance of a CO as an excuse to disrespect the species, other hunters, and landowners.

I hate losing game, I feel disgusted if I let a wounded animal get away and do my best to not allow such. Should I feel this feeling less for a snow goose since there's too many of them? I say no, and have had to catch myself on it. And I've emptied my gun on birds getting out just like the next guy, which I rarely do on ducks or dark geese by holding off when they're too far. So I personally have to try to keep my mind for a snow goose hunt the same as I do for other waterfowl, where I'll respect the game the same, not compromise my usual hunting ethics b/c of the species, and be happy with days of 0 kills or just a few per person. I'm happy when I kill my 4 mallard limit in a day, or 3 honkers .... why should I get so unhappy with those numbers on snows just b/c I'm allowed so many more?

2. Pirogue

Pirogue Senior Refuge Member

That kinda spray and pray shooting has been goin on since the start of the CO. The contest ain't gonna make it any worse.
    Just watch any YouTube video on spring snow goose hunts. Everyone from Habitat Flats to Joe Blow does it the same....get em as close as they're gonna come( 10 yds-110 yds)then erbody empty a mag extension as fast as humanly possible.Oh and don't forget to scream,holler,and fist bump !!

P

3. jzoo

jzoo Senior Refuge Member

Times are changing mudtoes, the younger generations were bread and raised differently than you. Kids these days are raised to be competitive, so everything becomes a contest, constantly comparing yourself to others. I'm 33 fyi. When I was 8 years old I played on a traveling baseball team that practiced 4 times a week and played games the other 3 days. If we lost we were cussed at and damn near abused by our coaches. Our parents, they pushed us almost as hard as the coach. We had to win and i can tell you it's worse for kids now than it was for me. From video games to youth sports to school, everything is a competition so of course when these kids (me included) start hunting it's going to be a competition. Now we have video and youtube so you can "measure yourself", get likes, get free stuff, gain popularity...it all plays into exactly what young people desire.
    I'm guessing you were working your *** off at home or on the farm when you were 8 instead of playing a pointless sport so your dad could "live vicariously through you". I know as humans we are naturally somewhat competitive, but it is being branded into todays youth; right wrong or indifferent.

To tell you the truth, I'm jealous of you and your outlook. When the pile is the most important thing, you sure don't enjoy many days in the blind each year.

4. grande long

grande long Senior Refuge Member

J zoo is breaking the bad news to you old farts things change live. you don't have to like it condone it but come on now who doesn't like a pile.loosen up it just snows there after but manners they been gone for while now.

5. Drakes Landing

Drakes Landing Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

jzoo................sounds like some deep rooted resentment that may require therapy right there???

Your point is a very good one and fortunately and/or unfortunately probably just the way it is or will be. I too am jealous of mudtoes outlook!

6. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Things haven't changed as much as you think in that regard.

7. jzoo

jzoo Senior Refuge Member

Perhaps there is, but therapy? No. Whiskey? :yes

Maybe not, I have only been around for 2ish generations. I just get the feeling it was talking to my elders.
    Maybe it's that our competition is much much broader due to the internet. Take duck hunting for instance, 30 years ago you probably didnt' have a clue what people were shooting every day unless you talked to them on the phone, the circle you compared yourself to was much smaller. Now I can hop on social media and see how thousands of people did today, I feel like it drives the competitive aspect to it.

Drakes Landing likes this.
  8. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Duck hunting has been extremely competitive in my region since before I was around. There have been hunting competitions for over a century, and some of those involve waterfowl. Social media certainly allows you to have a better idea of what others are doing, but I also know people post enough erroneous information that it's meaningless in regards to competition.

9. joecitrano

joecitrano Elite Refuge Member

This is a tournament not a job! And I don’t care how you hunt em but I believe contest rules were in place.
    Big difference between working and scheming

10. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

I got the email announcing the winners and the 1160 geese feed what 80,000 or 800,000 people. completely stupid. May 1200 people.