Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Maine

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Shirleyshusband, May 9, 2021.

1. Shirleyshusband

Shirleyshusband Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for the tips. We're hoping to do a lot of (flat water) kayaking.
    We both have good bug shirts and pants. Bugs are my biggest concern, not me so much but Shirley. Two knats can drive her inside...in her defense, a bite on her swells up to a quarter and lasts a couple days. On me, I have a little bump for an hour at most.
    In the 70's I fished Canada and experienced black flies. I remember literally not being able to see my jeans because they were covered in flies. I'm hoping it won't be that bad. The manager said by mid June they're starting to die down.

2. fishnfool

fishnfool Elite Refuge Member

Your options are nearly endless..especially where you'll be working. Tons of inlets and bays around Eastport and Lubec (of course watch out for those tides!) and lakes and ponds are scattered all around Moosehorn.

If your yaks are even somewhat seaworthy try and get your hands on this guide for island camping/paddling options on the ocean:
    https://mita.org/guide/

Or check out this for inland routes:
    https://www.northernforestcanoetrail.org/discover/trail-overview/

Shirleyshusband likes this.
  3. texduk3

texduk3 Senior Refuge Member

Did Baxter State park w the Boy Scouts, in a canoe, for 10 days, seen Kathadin, and dead moose hanging in a stream.
    A very awesome trip, so were the locals :grvn

4. Shirleyshusband

Well, we're here. Took 5 days to drive out, about six hours a day. I like that better than long hours.
    We're stationed near Calais, Maine, just a few miles from the Canadian border. We have a very nice secluded site. We work 3 days and are off 4. So far we worked two days. It looks like we'll be doing a lot of signage updating/ replacement, painting and grass cutting with a few more carpentry projects thrown in.
    The area is beautiful. Pines, birch and popple make up most of the woods. If it wouldn't be for the coast it'd be just like northern Wisconsin.
    The staff has been friendly and helpful in getting us acclimated.
    This was the view at work today:
    20210602_164448.jpg

Our site:
    20210601_183952.jpg

They supply us with a work truck and tools, although I bring some of mine too.

So far we've had New England Clam Chowder (awesome), lobster rolls (awesome too), and fresh scallops ( yep, still awesome).
    No mooses yet, lots of geese. Mosquitoes are tolerable so far and no black flies. Plenty of ticks.
    Got our fishing licenses and hope to wet a line this weekend.
    I'll post more pics as time goes on.

We really like volunteering for US Fish and Wildlife. I'll do my best to answer any questions about volunteering for USFW if anyone has any...

5. tgs

tgs Elite Refuge Member

Enjoy your time here! Lubec is a great spot for coffee and a sunrise! Baxter State Park has great trout fishing in June, but does not allow dogs and would be a long day trip...
    West Grand Lake should be worth exploring.

6. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for helping.

7. cjr

cjr Refuge Member

Take a trip down to Eastport if you're able. It is a nice little working town most of the year which hosts a fair number of artists in the summer. As with most towns on the water there, it has great seafood. They also have a huge 4th of July party every year which includes bringing a Navy ship into town though I'm not sure if that would happen this year with Covid.

Enjoy, you are in a really great part of the world.

8. BigMike

BigMike Elite Refuge Member

Don't let your dog "swim with the seals"......
    It's not a good idea.

oleww likes this.
  9. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

I spent a week there a few years back. I'd go back just for the homemade bread! Great place.

10. Shirleyshusband

Hadn't really thought about that. I've had Goose swimming in light surf and happened upon a dead jellyfish. I called him out or the water (he loves the water) and that was the end of his salt water experience.

Did you have a run-in with seals?