Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Making Holes

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by marshmob, Jan 24, 2020.

1. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

So I have some old old old deadlies that never had drain holes from the factory. Actually I don’t think any sock had holes back then unless you did it yourself. Since we’re going to run a permanent spread this year, I’m thinking I should do this by using an old school hole punch. My question is has anyone done this and later had problems with it making the tyvek weak at the hole? I’m guessing it will be around 200 decs so not real interested in reinforcing with grommets.
    Thanks

2. jolle

jolle Elite Refuge Member

I haven't done this, but would consider a soldering iron as well. I believe the tyvek will melt easily and the holes will have the burnt edge to deter further fraying or tearing.

3. gold10

gold10 Senior Refuge Member

Put a small piece of gorilla tape on the inside of the bag over the area you want to punch the hole. I’ve done this to reinforce the stake holes right behind the neck collar on hundreds of custom socks with good success.

4. Hoggr

Hoggr Senior Refuge Member

I have punched thousands of socks for drain holes. No issues at all punch them and set them

5. timber hunter

timber hunter Elite Refuge Member

I just fold a center line from tail to breast and use sharp scissors to cut small triangles. Unfold and you have little diamond shaped holes. Never had any issues.

6. marshmob

Thanks for all the ideas. Time to get busy, thinking we’re going to have an early migration from the looks of the long range forecast.

7. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

it won’t take them long to arrive. I thought we’d be good for awhile but we’ll lose the snow this week.

8. marshmob

Same here. Hoping it dries out really quick. Long range has me wondering but we always seem to get another cold snap and a few inches of snow late February.

9. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

Yep.

10. Kansan

Kansan Refuge Member

Looks like a pretty good cold snap coming mid February.