California Flyway Forum Sponsors

mallards again..

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by mark seaters, Apr 11, 2021.

1. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

7pntail and toulon like this.
  2. marsh-mello

marsh-mello Elite Refuge Member

Cool....I really enjoyed the article as it provides a wider perspective than just our own here.

3. 7pntail

7pntail Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for sharing that one. There were a lot of nice points made.

4. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

He lost me in paragraph 4 when he said Buffleheads swarming his spread.

5. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

His “mallard spread” at that !!!

You never had buffleheads swarm your mallard spread??? It’s kind of special.

6. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

If you know anyone from the South, these conversations have been going on for years. Been tough sledding in LA the past few years as they are experiencing the same scenario we face with WA hoarding a bunch of mallards in that corn. Back there those states to the north are shortstopping more and more mallards as well. It comes down to habitat and geography. Does that sound familiar? One of the primary differences here is we have the ability to raise ducks here. The less we raise here and more migration dependent we become, I think we will sound a lot like those guys back there.

The pressure impact on the birds always impacts hunting to a degree. It isn't detrimental to the populations though. This is why we have a regulatory process in the first place and sanctuaries. Pressure regulates itself in my opinion. Birds will naturally go where they are safe and become nocturnal to feed. So we are more weather dependent for success. Again........not to sound like a broken record, but if we produce more young birds into the pipeline, hunting success usually goes up. In CA we don't have to rely upon migratory mallards for that since more than half we kill here are raised here. So that is why it is important to try to solve our habitat and water issues. Those are far more vital than pressure.

Guys react too much to pressure because in controlled private settings it can be so profound to see how success bounces up. Then you see that during youth or veteran hunts after the season. Once things relax, birds come out of hiding that are there to be harvested by the few fortunate enough to be able to hunt them. What we need to understand is this is not a true representation of the statewide situation during the general season. Birds adapt to a long season in which in many cases they can be hunted 7 days a week. We can't limit access any more in a State where access is already challenged enough. We need to be expanding opportunity; not limiting it. So it is vital to produce MORE birds, not less.

Articles like this illustrate the diversity we have in waterfowling. That is cool to me and something folks need to consider when certain species plummet. I don't fault diver hunters for their commitment to their craft so they shouldn't have a disdain for mallard purists as well. I am neither personally. I change up throughout the season to fit my own personal desires. I have never been a purist. I also don't agree with mallard purists who refer to other ducks as "chit ducks" or anyone that hunts them as automatically being a "shooter". This is just not true. Hunters are hunters no matter what they pursue. Their approach is what defines that and not the type of ducks they pursue.