California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Mallards mallards mallards ...

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by mark seaters, Jan 21, 2021.

1. dukhuntnfool

dukhuntnfool Elite Refuge Member

Funny how reputations can carry on the way they do , most people believe 7 green or gentlemen limit (5 green) are routine for majority of Butte Sink clubs . The reality is even the best managed Sink clubs don't shoot solid green let alone mallards exclusively as they once did . They suffer same slow times as others do , difference is they shoot 4 or 5 other ducks when its slow . Many middle of the road Sink clubs now fill out with other ducks routinely . Funny thing is most Sink hunters are there for Status and don't like to acknowledge lesser hunting !

2. Refugeguy

Refugeguy Elite Refuge Member

The only ones who think the sink is the best thing on earth is the Guys not hunting them . I mean hunting 2 days a week on clubs the size of a regugyte with 8 guys ? Fak I’d hope they would kill mallards. Give me 50 guys at Mendota each sat and wed and I’ll kill 150-200 mall.

3. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

Would love to see it happen but seems like an uphill climb. Losing that place has been a huge impact to CA mallards as well as other birds.

freefall likes this.
  4. Calikev

Nail on the head here.

Our biggest challenge on the refuges is the people factor. Not necessarily crowding but just not being able to go where you know you need to be.

Maximum access comes at some price but I will take the option getting to go every time over someones interpretation of how to make a quality hunt.

If you work hard enough you can be successful. Just may not always be mallards now days.

5. Specialbelly

Specialbelly Senior Refuge Member

this is true almost across the board in the Sink.. Lots of clubs shooting 'others' opposed to straight green. Opportunity to shoot mallards is obviously higher there and still can happen at many clubs there. But overall mallard numbers are not as good as the public would assume its been. That said, I would still rather "suffer" there in a blind you can boat directly into over running to a spot in the dark.

The clubs that I have seen/been on this season still are not holding the numbers of green you would expect to see in late January, even with a mix of habitat conditions and compositions. They are there but I think nearly everyone would agree they aren't in the concentrations we would like to see. I'd rather shoot a speck in the natural over a ditch pig mallard anyway :yes

We need someone to re-architect the flyway :flame

freefall and nsm1548 like this.
  6. dukhuntnfool

dukhuntnfool Elite Refuge Member

Re-architect flyway has been happening for sometime , Lake Sacramento, flyover of Klamath , explosion of geese populations , warmer and later winters , large increases in sanctuaries , short stopping in northern states , ect , ect !

Squaller, freefall and Calikev like this.
  7. Russnutt209

Russnutt209 Senior Refuge Member

They are all on woodward. Get a blind out there and you can shoot all the greenheads and canada's you want.

lonely goose likes this.
  8. ElkNuts

ElkNuts Senior Refuge Member

The weird thing is, Our club has shot more Mallards this year than it ever has. I don't get it.

9. Calikev

Why would you say this?

lonely goose and freefall like this.
  10. Calikev

Like how many is that?

Squaller likes this.