Manitoba is Going to Lottery System for Americans in 2023?

grande long

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I will gladly go thru an outfitter if i can stay 10-20 days and see some migration progress and hunt at my own pace some make it sound like all of us go there and make money illegal guiding there no chance were all friends that grew up passonate about bird hunting and still love it and dont mind spending 3-5k to do it but dont want to hunt with guide.just like going fishing in canada the outfitter just provides the cabin and boat/motor setup dont need help to catch them.

GooseChaser1

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Just checking, has the final rule been made regarding the lottery? We freelance in Sask. since 1998 and have developed great friends in our area. I make the trip in September and then back up in late October with friends from the states since 1998. Plenty of area for everyone and we do have several outfitters in the area we hunt and have had no problems and would never interfere and avoid conflicts if we arrive at a field and the local outfitter is setting up (dual permission) (only had this happen twice in 24 years). Remember, we are the guest in Canada and should always show respect no matter if it is not offer to us (this has never happen).

As noted, we have always brought our birds back home, plucked, breasted etc. except for this year under the USDA guidelines.

Dennis S.
Rio Rancho, NM

recker999

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I believe this is targeting the USA guys who do indeed come up for 4 - 8 weeks and continue to bring new hunters every week. All the money changes hands down south so really no way to combat what they are doing other than shut them down, either a 7 day only season or make them go thru an outfitter.

There are many if not hundreds of guys coming up here for way longer then they need to for a few waterfowl hunts. I purposely stay away from the high density areas that are full of Nr's, whether being guided or not. Too much competition for fields and then the almighty dollar speaks. I know one outfitter who is constantly being jacked around by 2-3 NR's who run basically a guiding business while they hunt up here for 8 weeks. They start throwing money around and the whole thing goes sideways for resident hunters and outfitters.

It was bound to happen up here. Too many guys wanting it all for themselves, not just a quality hunt or two. No, they need to hunt for 3-5 weeks. Then next fall they start bringing up guys every week and stay even longer. then they buy a place and figure its their right to run a guiding business while they are up here hunting for the entire season.

Yes, Manitoba has the least amount of resident waterfowl hunters of the 3 prairie provinces. But that doesnt mean its more for the visitor hunters to take advantage of. If this new rule will protect a few of the spots I can keep NR's and guides out of, I am in favour of it. I have a 12yo that started hunting this fall and another one upcoming. There may be lots of places for us to hunt right now, but if nothing changes there will be less and less access for locals.

And dont tell me the guides will be leasing up my hunting area, there's not enough birds on a good year to keep guides in business in my neck of the woods. But I do run into Nr's that only stay a few weeks but have a party of 5- 7 hunters , going out every day, pounding the smit out of the birds. Then the locals get to deal with heavily pressured birds for 3-4 weeks.
Why in the world are guys staying 6-8 weeks as non- residents? Unless you are retired I don’t see how that is even possible if you work unless of course if you are taking money under the table as a guide. I could see staying a week like normal people do an on a hunting trip but two months? South Dakota limits non residents to 10 days of hunting and it works our pretty well as it keeps the birds from getting pounded day in and out for the whole season. They also limit the number of out of staters at like 3500. North Dakota does not and is a complete and total zoo. Manitoba probably could be headed the ND I suppose if some sort of restrictions are not put in. You ever notice the new generation does not show up to hunt with just two or three guys you know like a father and son. Oh no they show up with like 7-15 guys most all young and ready to pound away day in and out so the you tube videos can go up to show how much they killed. These groups can ruin an area in a hurry and drive all the ducks away.

duck central

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Great to see your post Dennis.
I have stayed for the last 25 years at least a Month in Canada also. This year 5 weeks, next year 6 weeks again like normal.
I mainly chase Snows , Specks, Cranes. some upland birds .
I like to Work birds and see the Migration happen . Ive made Numerous friends and taken dozens of locals on some of the best hunts they've ever had. I enjoy their company and friendship.
I have seen whats happening for years and I agree on the NON- RES guides. they should be LIMITED... I don't take money from people I hunt with and it's MANY. Well maybe I do if you consider s Breakfast or lunch.
To limit my stay would be like limiting a visit to Family. just my 2 cents

darkvibe

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Great job creating a system where people will become outfitters in order to sell licenses at inflated prices. Manitoba ducks will be for residents and rich people.

BIGFOOT56

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Just stop. U have good intentions but your implementation process is brutal. No more posting
That was not brutal just the truth. I mean well. for the geese and the hunters or we will have no sport.

KEN

Reaction score
This was tried in Sask a few years ago. We called every place of business we frequented while we were there and told them we would no longer be coming. Businesses fought against it and it was voted down. People hunting in Manitoba have to do the same.

swifthunter

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
This was tried in Sask a few years ago. We called every place of business we frequented while we were there and told them we would no longer be coming. Businesses fought against it and it was voted down. People hunting in Manitoba have to do the same.
What was tried? I never heard of anything being proposed that was going to limit non resident hunting in sask. Why are you so against limiting the amount of non resident hunters?

CNWD

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Manitoba is putting their local/resident hunters 1st. That is what this really comes down too. Non residents of MB still can hunt there if you apply and or get a guide. Nothing ever stays the same forever.

KEN

Reaction score
Sask outfitters tried to pass a law that said ALL NON_RESIDENT Canadians would have to use an outfitter to hunt waterfowl there. That would shut down a LOT of us from going there. It was voted down. I am not totally against limiting non-residents. But do it by limiting the number of days I can hunt. NOT forcing people to use outfitters or have to stay home.

Scroll down to where it says....."Mandatory Outfitting." Happened in about 2010.

Last edited: