Marsh Layout

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Flyway Forum' started by woodiefanatic, Jun 10, 2019.

1. woodiefanatic

woodiefanatic Senior Refuge Member

Anyone use a small marsh layout? Don’t have my Go devil boat anymore and thinking of picking up a layout to pair with my canoe for this year. Looking at something that could hunt me and the dog on some of the small marshes and rivers. One I could preferably haul in my truck but I do have a trailer. I wouldn’t put a motor on it either paddle or pole it. Let me know what you got and the pros and cons. Also if anyone is looking to sell I might be interested. NW WI. Thanks.

2. ScottO

ScottO Senior Refuge Member

Love my Aquapod, but they have gotten stupid expensive and shipping is also big bucks. They have more than doubled in price since I bought mine. Have an older 10 ft fiberglass version. Paddles well and is super stable. Use it as a marsh layout and even on the bay as an open water layout when conditions allow. Killed lots of birds with it. Hauls easily in the back of a truck and only weighs about 60 lbs. If you can find a used one at a decent price, I highly recommend. They do sell a rotomolded plastic version now that is much less expensive. Don't have any experience with that one.

3. 1duckmaster

1duckmaster Elite Refuge Member

Love my marsh rat!

20181015_083638.jpg 20181019_091318.jpg

4. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

I thought you moved to Depere/NE Wisconsin?

Double ended wood skiff. Probably 75 years old. 11 foot, It leaks but I installed extra flotation. It’s very stable. And works great with the dog and a dozen decoys plus fishing. I’ve been a half mile out into Lake Michigan with it chasing crippled geese. I have used as a layout boat but it’s not the best for that. It’s great for float hunting a river. I can lay almost flat and paddle while jump shooting.

I have a ladder rack on top of my truck cap for it. Works great especially for taking out west.

971E56BA-1376-4015-97F6-2954C53D6F38.jpeg

758BEFFE-2ADC-48C0-9C5F-F069D2C6898E.jpeg

Even 3.5” shells won’t tip it over.

353C917C-BF2B-4059-B42E-724893A936E3.jpeg

I got this boat for free. Look around you might find one. Thus boat is made with wood, glue and nails. You probably could make one.

5. Jagwall

Jagwall Senior Refuge Member

Do you own a boat that doesn’t leak?

6. pud123

pud123 Elite Refuge Member

Haha haha.

7. take'm

take'm Elite Refuge Member

I have a 10 year old carstens puddler. 10' long, Stable and fits in back of a pick up.

8. canpoint

canpoint Elite Refuge Member

I have Carsten Pintails. Big enough for gear, me, and a dog:) unbelievably stable!!!!!!!

9. woodiefanatic

@SB2MAG my bad I am currently living in the heart of Green Bay in a shady duplex. I used to have a wooden skiff but it weighed a quarter ton empty and killed me getting it in an out of the truck. Then one day the rotten wood decided to blow a 4" long gash and it was good thing there was a **** load of foam in that thing or I would have never made it shore. The water was shallow but never the less it was my last ride in it. Thinking a 4 rivers or maybe a marsh rat. Thinking the rat might be a bit small for me and the dog tho. Wish I could find a used 4 rivers kind of expensive to get one shipped.

10. woodiefanatic

87A29A42-0447-4C21-92E5-FE9FA3D344CB.png In all of its glory with my first ever spoonie

hyper23 and pud123 like this.