Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Marsh rat or aquapod

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by finster52, Jan 10, 2020.

1. 1duckmaster

1duckmaster Elite Refuge Member

Sitting up right in it. You can see the little bit of extra room. 20181015_083638.jpg

2. NWRINGNECK

NWRINGNECK Elite Refuge Member

I’m 6’ x 240 and have owned them both. I sold the marsh rat to get an 10’ glass Aquapod. The pod floated me in less water by several inches which had been a problem with the rat in a couple of skinny water spots. I used an electric motor on both so can’t comment on long distance paddling on either. Both worked as a hide in marsh situations and the rat was used with some success as an open water layout although a true layout was “much” better.

3. finster52

finster52 Refuge Member

You guys a leaving great information. Thanks. This is making it even harder!

Duck_Hunter_TX likes this.
  4. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

I don't know what shipping is on a Marsh Rat, but Aquapods are made in Washington. I would imagine shipping across the country would be $$$

5. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

I have a 10 ft marsh rat, close to 20 years old at this point. Tracks horribly. Good for marshy applications without needing a long paddle and I also used mine a time or two as an open water layout.

You are thinking of hellbender.

Look at the 10 or 12 ft ascend sit in kayak. Modifiy it with your own came (some guys roll up grass mats)

Mr.Bones likes this.
  6. noweil

noweil Elite Refuge Member

I have plastic Marsh Rat, 10' FiberglassAqua Pod and a 10' Plastic Aqua Pod. I do prefer the Aqua Pods over the Marsh Rat for paddling. I also prefer plastic boats to drag around and in rocky situations. My recommendation would be a 12' Aqua Pod or possibly a fiberglass Marsh Rat for roominess. My buddy is a good sized guy and he hunts out of a Marsh Rat Magnum.

Pictures of the Marsh Rats with blinds. 2015-12-27 08.20.14.jpg 2015-12-27 08.11.17.jpg 20171219_095724.jpg
    20191129_072810.jpg

Duck_Hunter_TX and finster52 like this.
  7. Mr.Bones

Mr.Bones New England Moderator Moderator

Thanks - that’s it!
    http://www.gotohellbender.com/twelve.html

8. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I have to admit it Guys, but I have seen quite a few hunters using these & the Kayaks last opening day @ a State F&WA! If I was bit younger THIS would be the way to the small lakes/marshes there. Not to hijack this but how stable or these boats- no BS? Also I think I'd be leaning to a "plastic" and not fibreglas mdl if hauling it by myself in & out of a pickup truck? As finster52 said good info here! :tu

9. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

They are deadly!
    Stability? Pretty dang good! I owned a marsh rat for awhile(Fiberglas). I could stand up and push pole it without any real fear of tipping. Also would put a 75# kid, 60# dog and tow a sack of decoys and no real worries and small water.
    I currently own a “half breed” fiberglass I believe UFO makes it???

Back to the original question, 3 of my buddies have roto molded 10’ aqua pods. Lightweight, they drag them everywhere, brush up easy and paddle way faster than my 85# model. I’m almost getting to old to be dragging 85# boats around the marsh and fiberglass sucks for any rocky situation.
    My buddies literally kick their aqua pods down rocky embankments to launch.
    I have to baby mine or it chips.
    Also, mine doesn’t have any lip/splash guard. I have potential to take a lot of water over bow with a small chop, unlike the Pod or Rat.
    6ABD42AD-A761-43DD-8325-3E38E5685446.jpeg

OneShotBandit likes this.
  10. duck_killer00

duck_killer00 Senior Refuge Member

I have the aquapod sport model and love it. Lightweight as i load unload it by myself which was most important to me. Not a ton of room if you are carrying alot of decoys and gear though. Does its job just fine
    15880.jpeg