Maryland Ag Secretary caught baiting

Ruination

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Wonder if the dnr officers will be reprimanded? :)

Heard they were rotating md dnr officers around a while back as some were to cozy with affluent folks.

There has always been a couple known folks that appear to be operating questionable natural practices where folks wonder how they have birds non stop with constant baiting and grapevine rumors flying they are baiting but local dnr won't touch them or they will get away with it unless the feds hear about it.
I don't know about the rumor, but I do know about the coziness.

Couple years back (okay more than a couple) I was invited to hunt in a blind during Christmas break. I said I didn't have a license or plan on getting one. Was told, "that's fine, we're hunting with the head of DNR (or some such)"

More recently a club I hunted on got busted for baiting while the (super) rich guy across the street, who called DNR, literally would cut his corn with the doors open and make long rows of gold in the field. The DNR officer flat up refused to go look...The feds had no such qualms though.

rhpierce

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Most of the people I know if they were in that high-level position would go to great lengths to be squeaky clean and avoid ANY appearance of wrongdoing.

Now, to be fair, the waterfowl stamp violation could've been that he usually puts it in his blind bag, and it was on the counter at the house. That's one of the complications of having licenses in pdf format, when you still have to carry the signed stamp on your person. And the plug violation could have been from cleaning it. For that matter he may not have even ever taken it apart to know that it didn't have a plug, or could've been a new gun that didn't have it installed and he didn't check it before he went out.

But somehow, given the baiting, I doubt it.

Rudder

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Could also be that he trusted his farm manager to set up and run the hunt and he just showed up and hunted where his employee told him to. That's pretty common in Maryland.

bird junkie

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Most of the people I know if they were in that high-level position would go to great lengths to be squeaky clean and avoid ANY appearance of wrongdoing.

Now, to be fair, the waterfowl stamp violation could've been that he usually puts it in his blind bag, and it was on the counter at the house. That's one of the complications of having licenses in pdf format, when you still have to carry the signed stamp on your person. And the plug violation could have been from cleaning it. For that matter he may not have even ever taken it apart to know that it didn't have a plug, or could've been a new gun that didn't have it installed and he didn't check it before he went out.

But somehow, given the baiting, I doubt it.
Looks like the son had the additional charges.

Montauker

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Per the article the son was charged with the stamp and plug violation, not the father.

Also all three were hunting a pond and the bait was supposedly found in the adjacent field. That means that DNR made a determination that the field had more corn on the ground than they think it should have through farming practices.

duckbuster5901

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Per the article the son was charged with the stamp and plug violation, not the father.

Also all three were hunting a pond and the bait was supposedly found in the adjacent field. That means that DNR made a determination that the field had more corn on the ground than they think it should have through farming practices.
If thats the case the baiting charges are going no where.