Maryland Duck Hunting Outfitter

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by tscott8492, Mar 28, 2021.

1. tscott8492

tscott8492 New Member

we are looking at middle of January? Is that usually a good time

2. Langford

Langford Senior Refuge Member

Should be. And at Quaker Neck I would think you would kill your two mallards mid January no problem. Only issue I would see would be if they are coming in late or leaving early out of whatever flooded impoundment your in that day. And then no real flight during the day could result in a long day. You will probably have a real good change of pulling the trigger but as mentioned before ducks on the shore isn’t what it used to be and a good weather front would be a plus if the stars align. No way to plan around that though.

Not pointing out any outfitter in particular- just making a broad statement here. Many of the mallards killed on the Eastern Shore during the course of a duck season are not actually wild ducks but ducks that were raised and released to better the hunting. I don’t know actual percentages but would be willing to guess anywhere from 30-50% of all mallards killed on the shore are actually pen raised birds. Some outfitters will even tell you that. Duck hunting on the shore just isn’t what it used to be. Even the diver hunting hasn’t been to great as of late.

Not going to name any names but can think of thousands of ducks released just along the Chester, Langford, and Sassafras’s Rivers every year. I don’t have a problem with it, sometimes we even shoot a few wanderers when the food on the ponds and impoundments gets scarce.

3. Ruination

Ruination Elite Refuge Member

30-50%...come on dude.

I haven't ever killed a toe clipped mallard. They hardly ever leave where they were raised.

4. Langford

not all released ducks are toe clipped. Your nuts if you think they are.

5. Ruination

Sounds illegal.

And counter productive.

6. Langford

lol I guess you have never driven over speed limit. All I am saying is it’s more common than you think. Some people don’t want you to know they are released mallards.

7. Ruination

That's a lot harder operation to hide then you think if you are going to claim 30% of the ducks harvested on the eastern shore are pen raised.

Specially if you are talking about an operation the size of Quaker neck.

And why would you risk it? To save $150? When you are spending 10k raising ducks?

Why would you not want to be able to shoot unlimited pen raised ducks on your pond?

8. Langford

never did I say it was operations the size of Quaker Neck gun club was doing it. And I also didn’t say 30% of the “ducks” shot on the shore were pen raised. I said 30% of “mallard” ducks are most likely pen raised birds. Ducks unlimited and several others have written and shared articles about the decline of the Atlantic population mallard duck and one of the main reasons was over abundance of pen raised ducks and they breed with wild birds causing wild birds to not have the same natural instincts of migration and survival.

9. Ruination

There is a really really big difference between tainted blood lines and released ducks.

And honestly, if these ducks are managing to reproduce it's a pretty ****ty theory.

10. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

Pretty much all mallards in the Atlantic flyway have domestic blood. For the longest time mallards were breeding out the black ducks. Now black duck numbers are up mallard numbers are down seems like a direct correlation. It’s been many years and not sure if it’s still done but between to properties along the Chester they released around 7500 mallards a year.

Ruination likes this.