Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Math problems Are you smarter than a 5th grader!!!

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by salthunter, Apr 10, 2021.

1. OGblackcloud

OGblackcloud Elite Refuge Member

The order of operations

Bear likes this.
  2. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

In grade school is when pocket calculators came out. My dad discovered I could multiply two 2-digit numbers in my head faster than his pals could get their calculators out. Tested me constantly.
    Way back in 1972.

The University of Illinois insisted that engineers don't need calculators for quite some time.
    I know a few 75 year old engineers that can out math me. Little arithmetic tricks go a long long way.
    Those old guys heads are full of it.

3. oleww

oleww Elite Refuge Member

4. Aunt Betty

Order of operations.
    Every semester I dont care what class you take order of operations is the first lesson.
    I took a few math classes but really ...at the university I'm weak. They have super geniuses that make me look like an idiot.
    Sheldon Coopers...

5. Aunt Betty

This little book kicked my A.
    16181440869716160593068066494028.jpg
    Everything in it is Greek letters.

Look up 'Laplace Transform".
    That chit will fork your heads up.

I wonder if Hung V Vu ever got any poon.
    I seriously doubt it.:l

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  6. oleww

oleww Elite Refuge Member

7. Aunt Betty

That is nerd to a higher power where you live in the basement of the computer lab

depositphotos_5821538-stock-photo-cute-smiling-nerd (1).jpg

8. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

and music

The purpose of common core is simply a series or multiple methods to solve problems.
    Its not Voo-doo In reality it is "Math for Dummies" .

Aunt Bettys method is one method of doing double digit multiplication. A student created number-line is another "traditional method" that is common core. As I mentioned I used a shovel,..and digging house footings ( ok a bit extreem for a classroom). Younger students we walked around the the track.
    My criminal violent HS crew I used real money. All "common core, all old school. Just another option.
    Egg carton math, blocks and manipulatives were the first "Calculators "

I had one construction student who was in SPED because hehad never memorized his multiplication tables, couldn't pass basic geometry. We worked on "Concrete math " setting forms and figuring materials , On graduation he placed third in the State Construction math competition, and is now an Electrical contractor.

Math is like a lot of things,, if you do it often you get good at it.

I will interject one thing. The US education models for teaching math expect way too much, lessons are way too fast. There isnt enough real practice. Education jumps to the advanced math way too fast,,,, way too fast for most students.

Most kids/students dont use and apply what they learn, and it goes to the back of their mind, forgotten or foggy. Our kids just dont use math.
    I had paper routes when a kid,..got paid by the pound for scrap, piece work on live bait, and feeder fish. I excelled in Surveying trig. My construction math!

A Dewalt builders level and stick is an incredible method. Then applied to physcis and vectors, elevation, surveying,..... Its real,
    My "failing" SPED Math kids excelled in basic math and geometry and trig. Simply put they became solid with the basics,.. and quickly became "calculator free". And my classroom had 40: $110 Construction calculators, that we seldom needed or used.
    From my experience: Haters,.. never had a solid learning and experience base. Just taught more and more fluff.

SEKhunter likes this.
  9. pbd

pbd Senior Refuge Member

I’ll go out on a limb and say you’re 1/2 right
    :dv:dv

salthunter likes this.
  10. Aunt Betty

You want a math lesson worthy of your skills?
    Build a wooden staircase in an unfinished home and don't forget the flooring at the bottom is going to be 3/4" thick and the carpet at the top is ... lol.
    Dividing and fractions will come into play.

Get it right. One oak stair tread was $142 last time I built a staircase.