Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Melons

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by ARHHH4, Aug 2, 2020.

1. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

you ain’t never had an Alabama yellow meat

2. mrmallerd

mrmallerd Elite Refuge Member

Best watermelons are cut open around 6 am after a cool night still wet with the morning dew.. Cut the heart out & leave the rest. Best part of wading thru the sand hoeing the bastages back in the 70s. I believe they still grow a few around Carmi. If not, you will need to go to Poseyville IN. Stay away from the store & try to buy from a roadside stand, that is if any still exist.

ARHHH4 likes this.
  3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Most all the roadside “stands” here have swapped to buying crates of melons from elsewhere. I like to find an old black man sitting on a pickup truck bed. He’ll sell you a good watermelon. The intersection of Browns Ferry road and Mooresville road in Athens AL usually fits the bill in my vicinity. Them watermelons came from his garden, at his house.

Grif, ARHHH4, newduk and 1 other person like this.
  4. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

I had some friends that had a truck farm operation in SE Wisconsin . Melons and Sweetcorn were his staples.He also had a ferrow and feeder hog setup. selling hogs mostly to an older fellow for his BBQ, The older fellow introduced handful of older black guys, they would show up with flashlights and pick the early morning hours then sell in Kanosha or Milwaukee.
    He mentioned " we all made good money"

5. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

Sweetest, crispiest watermelons I've had were small ones that come on late in the year like in September or October. That is after the weather changes and gets nippy and you really don't need a watermelon.

ARHHH4 likes this.
  6. ARHHH4

ARHHH4 Senior Refuge Member

We bought a couple from a stand yesterday that were trucked in from Indiana somewhere. Guy sold us on a sweet gem, which I’ve never heard of. She said it’s a lot sweeter than a normal seedless one

7. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

OT: In Japan my Uncle had a little garden that was about 30 miles away, he would ride his Honda step thru 70 cc(?) to the garden & pick watermelons- that's all he grew- Watermelons & they were really good. Must have been the human waste they use for fertilaizer.

8. pbd

pbd Senior Refuge Member

Historically melons in Japan cost in the hundreds of dollars each. They are a luxury item. If you are served melon, the host is paying you a high honor.

9. duckmann

duckmann Elite Refuge Member

Once I hunted the field where my sons had worked after the field had been disced. I took the dog and sat on a hill under a dead oak tree in the middle of the field with my dog. My uncle an ex Marine in his late 60s and a doctor friend of mine who was ex Navy and over 75 were seated at the end of the field together. They didn't shoot much but I saw one or the other get up and walk into the field periodically. When I took the truck to pick them up i found the ground around them littered with cantalopes that the disc had missed but they had spent the afternoon sampling.

10. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

funny to hear about the plug in the melon. nothing like paying $3 to $6 for a melon to find out as soon as you cut into you find out it ain't any good. as pizzed as I get I never have driven back to the store to return it and just take it out back and throw it into the woods to feed the critters.

Now I was at one of the local produce stands a couple years ago knocking on the side of a couple melons and finally decided on one I thought was good. there are 4 generations of family living on the farm and the oldest one was sitting behind the stand table. I asked him for advice on picking out a good melon. he said he never had good luck knocking on one but said he used to cut into them with a pocket knife and pull out a chunk till he found a good sweet one. we all laughed and his family game him some grief for telling a customer that. he offered to cut into the one I had but said if you have a problem you know we will replace it. fortunately I got a good one but it is a 50/50 gamble when I get them anywhere especially in the grocery stores with the ones shipped in.

one of these years I am going to try to get a solar electric fence installed and try to grow some stuff again but gave up after trying it for 3 years only to have 95% of it eaten by the deer, coons and other critters.