MEME Commentary thread.

API

PAF-CA Flyway
Reaction score

Bear

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Times man of the year 1938 has to do about his affect on the world not an honor

I’m surprised Hitler didn’t also receive the Nobel Peace Prize for just showing up. :rolleyes:

IMO

Last edited:

JBM SteelSlinger

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Maybe this will show Times thinking of Hitler
1550.jpg

pintail2222

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Maybe this will show Times thinking of Hitler View attachment 325814
I believe that this was discussed on here before. Time explained why Hitler was their Man of the Year back in 1938 a few years ago. Because he "influenced world events" for worse.

Hitler appeared on the cover of TIME on multiple occasions — most famously perhaps on Jan. 2, 1939, when he was named Man of the Year. That choice abided by the dictum of TIME founder Henry Luce, who decreed that the Man of the Year — now Person of the Year — was not an honor but instead should be a distinction applied to the newsmaker who most influenced world events for better or worse. In case that second criterion was lost on readers, the issue that named Hitler dispensed with the portrait treatment that cover subjects typically got. Instead he was depicted as a tiny figure with his back to the viewer, playing a massive organ with his murdered victims spinning on a St. Catherine’s wheel. Underneath the stark, black-and-white illustration was the caption, “From the unholy organist, a hymn of hate.”

https://time.com/5573720/hitler-world-influence/

Bear

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I really really like Hitler and he has always been my favorite.

JBM SteelSlinger

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that information, as I've only been a member since 2020 I haven't gone back and read all the previous post

API

PAF-CA Flyway
Reaction score
Time explained why Hitler was their Man of the Year back in 1938 a few years ago. Because he "influenced world events" for worse.
Sorta like justification of the "1938 Man of the Year" thing with recognition similar to that gender specific classic "She doesn't sweat much for a fat woman".

pintail2222

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Does anyone from 1938 who read Time Magazine's action have a recollection? FWIW, the "explanation" of what Time was thinking is likely from commentary written in April, 2019 (81 years after the fact).

https://time.com/5573720/hitler-world-influence/
Hitler would have had National mask mandates and would have had mandatory vaccinations for Germans - forcing them to get in line and get their shots in the name of the motherland. He had practice from making Jews line up to take “showers”.

Bear

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Hitler would have had National mask mandates and would have had mandatory vaccinations for Germans - forcing them to get in line and get their shots in the name of the motherland. He had practice from making Jews line up to take “showers”.

One of the rush of revulsion and pity I have ever felt in my life was when as a young man I managed a sit down restaurant near a heavily populated Jewish neighborhood.

We had a Jewish Community Center organization that once a month would come in and eat after a meeting. I made sure they were very well taken care of.

Anyway, we had a cove where they would all sit and meals would sometimes have to be passed between them if that particular night there was a large attendance.

When they would reach for their food their forearm concentration camp tattoos could be seen. I’ll never forget the horrible feeling when I saw that the first and every time. Hitler became real at that point. Not some historical reference in a book the nuns made us read when we were kids.

I still feel that horrible feeling as I write this response.

May they all Rest In Peace.

Last edited:

Latest posts