Memories, your most cherished?

Holesinthesky

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Another……..

As I have mentioned before, we had family come in from all over to deer camp in NE Missouri. Some years we had as many as 28-30 ( friends and family) at the little 3 room cabin.

A brutally cold November day With around 8-10” of snow on the ground. Constant blowing wind, the just chilled you to the bone. Late 70s

We had all been out on stand, and no one got a deer. We all met back at the cafe for lunch. During lunch, plans were made for a couple deer drives.

The drivers convoyed out to the start point, and the blockers out to their points.
I went with dad, and my 2 uncles. We would be end blockers.
My Great Uncles, friends of family, cousins started the walk thru one of thickest wood tracts. It was an ordeal to walk it, had to cross the creek probably 7-8 times, full of downed trees and head high by 10ft briar patches. It was always a great place for deer to lay up. But you really didn’t want to shoot one down in there, because it would be a ordeal to get it out.

So dad and I in one truck, my 2 uncles in another, park in the field. We get out and each start walking from the trucks to the woods. We are about 150-200 yards from the trucks, and about 100-150 yards between us.

After what seemed like eternity ( probably 25-30 minutes), this kid just could not take the cold wind. I start walking back to the truck. As I clear the wood line, I see little puffs of exhaust smoke coming from the tailpipe of the truck. I make it up the hill, and get in the truck. My dad looks at me with a big smile and says cold ain’t it? He had the heater going full blast on that 1972 F250 4x4. My teeth were chattering. He handed me a bottle of warming liquid, and said take a drink. ( To this day, if I have blackberry brandy, I think of that moment).

So there dad and I sit, about 10 minutes later, I see orange movement at the wood line. The figure makes his way to the trucks. It is my Dad’s older brother. He gets in other truck and starts it up. Trucks are parked side by side, and we had windows about half way down to talk. Dad said, pass him the warming liquid.

About 10 minutes later we see orange coming out of the woods, headed to the truck. It is my dad’s youngest brother ( who was a pretty die hard hunter). He gets to the truck and there the 4 of us sit, waiting on the drivers to make it thru the woods.

Another 20-30 minutes go by, and the drivers emerge from the woods, and make their way to the truck. My great uncle asks if we seen anything? To which we replied nope.

When he told the story…… his version was that he came out of the woods, and all he saw was our tracks leaving the truck, going halfway to the woods and turning/circling back around to the trucks. When he came out of the woods, there his nephews sat in the trucks getting warm.That is the last time my nephews get to be blockers!

Always good for a rolling laugh every season at camp.

Shirleyshusband

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I hate reading these stories about dads. I'm jealous.

My dads been gone since '95. I was only 39. I miss him something awful sometimes.

I love reading these stories about dads.

One of my favorites was my first deer. He and I were sitting back to back against a tree. I shot a one horned spike. I also was suffering from my first hangover!

DuckFan

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have so many... including my son and grandsons "firsts". One that stands out is my son getting his first ever duck (hen pintail) 3 weeks before my dad passed away. My dad was with us when my son got that first duck. My son even used his grandpa's gun to get it. My dad was so proud. 3 weeks later, my dad would suffer a fatal heart attack while duck hunting. I am so grateful that he got to see his first hunting grandson kill his first duck...just as he had with me and my 2 brothers many years prior.

Below is a copy of a California Waterfowl magazine article I wrote back in 2010. It speaks for itself. I could go on and on with stories. I have every hunt since 1959 chronicled in our log books. Great tradition and family hunting history. Hope you enjoy the article.

1660191087579.png

1660191104651.png

1660191122913.png

Attachments

• 1660191053446.png
    1660191053446.png
    294.8 KB · Views: 11

Wareagle1011

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
First turkey. Shot it in youth with my grandpa about 17 -20 years ago. He knocked me out of my chair trying to climb over me to go jump on it. Afterwards he made little me carry all 23 pounds of it up the ridge we came in on. Got a full body mount full strut just the way i shot it. I miss the days when turkeys were more plentiful probably more then anything.

duckbuster5901

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Many cherished memories from when my sons growing up killed their first ducks on the wing as little kids. Many more of great retrieves from dogs i,ve trained . The list goes on forever.

Holesinthesky

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Well today will be one that goes down as a cherished memory.

I had the privilege of taking my senior hunting partner (80yrs old and been fighting leukemia for a couple years).

I also had the privilege to take my cousin’s son (25), on his first waterfowl adventure.

Not very successful for number of ducks killed, but it was a good day!

I think he is hooked, and said he was looking forward to the next invite.

Really thought we were going to call in a flight of geese, until the other public land shooters opened up on whatever they saw, and the geese flared off, and were gone.
Adrenaline rush was good for the 5 minutes we thought they were going to work.

Wareagle1011

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score

I had the privilege of taking my senior hunting partner (80yrs old and been fighting leukemia for a couple years).

I also had the privilege to take my cousin’s son (25), on his first waterfowl adventure.

Really thought we were going to call in a flight of geese, until the other public land shooters opened up on whatever they saw, and the geese flared off, and were gone.
Thats all that matters. Killing is just a by product. Although its awful nice when it happens.

DrakeStar

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score

Smiles and memories made should be more important than any pile.
Sounds like a great day.
Congrats

Squaller

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have some great memories hunting with my father and grandfather... Some great life lessons as well...

But watching my daughter start to enjoy the outdoors with me, I think I am still making my best memories....

After missing a flock of geese (that uncharacteristically came in great range), we had a flock of snows come in (which I was not at all expecting), and she killed her first goose... Pretty good flock of snows being led by a Ross's, and she picked the lead bird... I simultaneously got to relive some of my own experiences while enjoying the sheer pleasure of seeing my child go through them the first time...

Gables-Kierra-Goose-2022.jpg

CookMan

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
God dogs, great hunting and fishing trips, my son, friends and family having great times, food and catching and shooting in the USA, Mexico, Canada and Bahamas, DR and St. Thomas.