Might need to go to bismuth....

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by SkolMNDuckHunter, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

I'm just wondering about those birds with steel shot inside them ? I very seldom find steel shot inside my birds ,#1 , I use pellet sizes that retain the energy
    to pass completely through 99.5 % of the birds I kill ! #2 , I also shoot 93.4% of my birds inside the decoys so it's easy to see why bb's go clear through them !
    #3 , 98.2 % of my reloads have a steel shot velocity of 1450 fps or faster ! My calculations could be wrong 10% of the time.....Hehee

2. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

If you're shooting close yes pellets go clean thru.
    You can see exit wounds by the "poof" in the feathers if you examine closely on a bird that hasn't gotten soaked. The breast bone can stop a pellet.
    We wax our plucked ducks. By forcing wax into holes we usually pull feathers and even shot too when peeling the wax off.
    You still have to feel very carefully and cut the meat very thin on birds you're not sure on.
    Disect the bird sort of. (When eating)
    We do.

3. SkolMNDuckHunter

SkolMNDuckHunter Senior Refuge Member

Well mine was in a goose and the pellet size was BB

4. Dr Swane

Dr Swane Senior Refuge Member

What do you do with small ducks and teal with steel 5’s and 6’s? I warn everyone to “tread lightly” .

Ravenanme likes this.
  5. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Elite Refuge Member

How much do crowns and or broken teeth cost? I’m guessing a $127 magic wand is cheaper.

I have never missed a BB in a goose breast with this thing. I have even found pellets in geese that were healed over from previous seasons that you would have never found when inspecting.

For me it has been worth it. But like I said and for full disclosure. Steel shot BB and #1 on geese and steel #4 for ducks it has been flawless. Set to the highest sensitivity rating.

It fails hard on Boss, bismuth, and tungsten shot.

6. SkolMNDuckHunter

SkolMNDuckHunter Senior Refuge Member

I'm intrigued, but I shred up most of my goose so I ordered a 650# fishing magnet that I'm going to test out first. I figure if it can pull bicycles and gun safes out of the water it should pull BBs from shredded meat. Usually in ducks I can find the pellets before cooking.

7. Drake91

Drake91 Senior Refuge Member

If you shoot em in range BB steel wouldnt be in the meat

Ravenanme likes this.
  8. Ravenanme

Well I've also waxed plenty , haven't had wax go into many wound-channels but I know what you're talking about or I guess I do ?
    For some reason my birds have very few pellets lodged in them but , I have to admit . my LM (.015) choke does throw a tighter pattern (with steel shot) than
    most and with the 1450/1475 fps loads I shoot , it pretty much puff's them ! When shooting Geese I shoot my 10 ga with loads of 1 3/8 oz of 1's or 1 1/2 oz
    of BB's as both these loads are close to 1500 fps and with the .745 choke , it also puffs them !

9. Drake91

Drake91 Senior Refuge Member

BB steel under 40 yards goes through geese even in cold temperatures... I dont shoot a ton of geese a year but BB steel going 1450 fps or faster under 40 yards goes clean through Canada geese never found a pellet in a bird... even my buddies

10. Ravenanme

KVZL4537 (8).JPG

Didn't find not one BB in any of these ! There was a lot of exit holes , all over their bodies !

Drake91 likes this.