Might need to go to bismuth....

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by SkolMNDuckHunter, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

OH yeah , these were shot with 1 1/8 oz of BB's inside the decoys , our spread was out to 35 yds for the farthest one !
    It was the landing hole in the middle that was the trap , shooting the outside birds first allowed us multiple kills each up !

2. SkolMNDuckHunter

SkolMNDuckHunter Senior Refuge Member

3. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

Thx.
    Cleaned 3 ducks last night, all bismuth 4s at 35 to 40 yds w full choke from invector plus, cynergy. Med ducks, shovelor... only 3 I saw all day :( Only found 2 to 4 pellets hit each. Head or neck killed each with just a single pellet through breast on one duck, lodged inside far skin. I had to shoot 2 of them twice, those were the 4 pellet ones.

Penetration didn't seem to be issue, only found 2 pellets total. But density appeared to suck. 9/8oz 4 bismuth. Don't know how choke patterned, put the full and mod in there which was the tightest I had for the gun and was hoping for the best, used the full choke 1st shot each. Looks like I need to geet to a board with that load, it must have been really sparse at 35 to 40 yds...

4. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Whole birds or breasted? How do you get the pellets out of a whole bird when you do find them, without tearing up the bird? (Not trying to be a ****, but I pick out most birds).

5. Squaller

Why not jump up to #4's?

With the guns I have patterned, it would be unlikely for a teal to pass through an I.C. pattern of #4's at 35 yards (in which a teal looks a looong ways off)...

After being surprised at how well #4's worked, I did try #6's... They seem to run out of energy at about 30 yards, and I had vastly more pellets in the birds I was eating (as compared to #4's). If finding so many holes in crippled birds (i.e. hitting birds hard and not killing them) was not enough to switch back to #4's, eating my first batch of ducks shot with #6's was.

JFG and Dr Swane like this.
  6. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

That's interesting Squaller as , I've shot a few limits of Quail with steel 6's and only found (maybe) 4 pellet strikes to the bird !
    I personally like #5's better as birds flushing wild , say 35 yds or more , I still have a good success at getting them ! I do shoot tight chokes for
    open country shooting .

7. Dr Swane

Dr Swane Senior Refuge Member

When they get in tight (20 yards and under) 4’s rip them to piece, heads, and bodies. I am impressed with Kent Teal steel 5’s and a mod choke.

Squaller likes this.
  8. Squaller

Well... I get that, but if you are shooting at ducks at such close ranges, why not open up the chokes a bit? Heck, the #5's will run out of steam before gaining the benefit of the tighter modified choke anyways (or so I would assume).

Dave in AZ and JFG like this.
  9. Drake91

Drake91 Senior Refuge Member

I killed a mallard stone dead a touch over 30 yards a few weeks ago with 7/8oz. Of #5's I really like the #5's

Squaller likes this.
  10. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

I pretty much concur with Squaller. If birds are that close more often than not, a more open choke (cylinder bore) imo with 4’s would not concentrate near as many pellets as 5’s with a mod choke. Escaping birds (ducks) then can easily be taken up to 40 yards. I shoot that combo early season when birds are closer ...it’s money for me.

Squaller likes this.