Might need to go to bismuth....

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by SkolMNDuckHunter, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

There is hardly a modern steel watefowl load that will not kill a chip-shot mallard at 30 yards...

I won't crap on the #5's, cause I have not shot them (or even seen them in action)... But I was surprised at how much earlier the #6's ran out of steam as compared to the #4's... Those #6's seem to hit a wall at about 30 yards (in my experience). If they (#5's) carry the energy good enough, there are more pellets to hit that head/neck and break a wing...

2. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

I wouldn't trade #4's for 5's in steel shot for waterfowl as I'm more into pellet energy than pattern density with small shot sizes . I want a shot size
    that will go clear through 98% of the waterfowl I shoot . Steel is with its density able to provide that , with enough velocity ! Plus , it patterns much
    tighter than other payloads . I agree with pattern density kills birds and along with a pellet size large enough to create a wound channel that mortally
    puts birds into shock , from broken bones or lack of blood , that's the size steel shot I'm using . My shots can be inside of 20 yds or beyond the tree tops
    down the bank so even with Teal or fully winter plumed Mallards , I can be assured I have the right loads for them !

Dave in AZ likes this.
  3. Drake91

Drake91 Senior Refuge Member

I never tried steel 6's except on dove out of my 20 and that's a different ball game of bird... but for most my creek huntin I do my shots are so close that I was gonna try em on woodies an mallards I believe they were federal 3/4oz? Maybe 7/8oz of #6 but I ran through em in dove season... went to find more and been sold out ever since... I have probably close to a flat of 3" #3's that I havent touched cause I've shot them fast steel upland #5's all season... but I haven't killed alot of birds really either this season... but I didnt have one cripple with them shells being all my shots were under 35 yards

Dave in AZ and Squaller like this.
  4. magnumyammerhammer

magnumyammerhammer Senior Refuge Member

Nothing hurts like hitting a steel pellet while in full chew. :(