Migration

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Farm4wildlife, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

I have been thinking. Couple of years ago we killed a goose that had a gps unit. It had flown south every year, except the one year it didn't have a successful nest. It stayed north in it's nesting area. I don't know if this is typical or not. Could be it was other reasons it didn't migrate. However, this year with the heavy spring rains it disturbed losts of nests. Most of our resident geese had ruined clutches due to flooding. We haven't had a stellar year in terms of bird numbers of both ducks and geese. I'm wondering if this could be a result of nesting being disturbed from an overly wet spring on the east coast? Wondering if it's typical behavior for birds to not migrate or fewer migrate if they don't have the need to imprint areas to juveniles?

I would think birds would migrate as they have the need to. Needing open water or open food sources. I'm going to try to research this but was wondering if anyone might have any knowledge on it.

2. letmwurk

letmwurk Elite Refuge Member

How do you know that the goose you shot didn’t have a successful nest?

3. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator

It was a male.:l:l:l

goosenazi, letmwurk and TheDuckSlayer like this.
  4. Farm4wildlife

The guy who was doing the research project that collared the bird shared some information with us.

Fowler267 and letmwurk like this.
  5. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Where was its nesting area?

6. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

Our geese never migrate. We hate them.

7. Farm4wildlife

The goose we had information on nested around Toronto every year. Killed in VA.

I can't remember how many years they tracked it . Think it was 5 but I'm not certain. It was killed about 2 weeks after the collar finally died. This was the last bird that had been collared to be killed. Think they did either 20 or 25 birds. The collars weren't very noticeable.

8. spg

spg Senior Refuge Member

In my area the birds don't migrate anymore. Once the lakes freeze over they migrate to below the dams and use the rivers until the spring thaw. Drove along a stretch of the river below our local dam this morning and close to 300 birds swimming around. Some of out birds should migrate towards your area. I know some ducks come down your way but with diminished numbers they hang with the geese.

They sure do eat a lot of those small shad that float down the river.

Farm4wildlife likes this.
  9. cholt

cholt Elite Refuge Member

I can see how that would work but we slammed the cans this year and they mainly nest on small grass patches in marsh and lakes so not sure if they nest later than the geese or if they just had a good year. Either way don’t know if we will ever have as bad a season as we had if we do it’s gonna drive the duck dynasty clans back to the woods so not saying I want another bad season but it would be nice to keep all the ones who think every bird will respond to a mallard hail call back on the couch or shooting house.

Duck Wrangler and Farm4wildlife like this.
  10. Farm4wildlife

We will see a reduced bag limit on mallards next year. Hopefully it might reduce the hunter numbers. I have to admit it seems foolish to go through everything for what will likely be 2 birds. But damn there's something about watching birds work that make it worth it. Maybe I should just take a camera instead of a gun. But the dog would really give me the eye then.

Can still hammer the geese if they show up. But it's getting difficult to get on fields now. Use to be I waited til it was a couple hundred geese to hunt. Seems like now if it's 40-50 birds someone is in there shooting them. Being a farmer I usually don't have trouble getting permission for a field. It's just trying to beat everyone else to them that's the issue.