Millet, Buckwheat question

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by Gadwall King, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Gadwall King

Gadwall King Senior Refuge Member

Have a pond that the geese like to use more for a loafing/resting area than anything. It is right next to a major roosting area. This three acre pond in the summer draws down and exposes around 2-4 feet of bare dirt. My question is has anyone planted millet or buckwheat in an area like this. My thought is that it should germinate then as the rains come later and fill the pond it should be similar to a duck hole, just only the edges. Do you have to disk the area to plant? Any suggestions, Thanks!

2. thebiggrfigr

thebiggrfigr Senior Refuge Member

If the area where the water has drawn down is moist you shouldn't have to do anything but spread out the seed. If it is dry, it wouldn't hurt to rake it or disk it.

3. Hairshark

Hairshark Elite Refuge Member

You can disk if you like, but don't have to. You can broadcast or drill millet, either way it will grow. Its actually pretty easy to get going.

4. The Yeti

The Yeti Elite Refuge Member

Scatter the millet seed right on the soft mud just after the water comes off of it. You could even do it a couple times as the water slowly recedes.

Buckwheat does not like to get its feet wet, so its gotta be pretty dry for it to go. If the water comes up a little with some rain it could kill the buckwheat, millet is much more tolerant of varying water levels, but I don't know if you have that problem.