Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Minimum Spread

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by 1bigduck, Jul 12, 2019.

1. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

No. only in the spring season you can use them.

2. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

Only in the spring season. Buy they are legal in Sask in the fall.

3. CUPTDUCK

CUPTDUCK Senior Refuge Member

It doesn’t take as many as people think. A few dozen in the right area is plenty.....don’t chase the x, it’s always a muddy *** field and it’s not worth the one in 50 times it works out. Run traffic and enjoy what u get. I put out 1000 or so most of the time now because it’s easy and good exercise for an old man lol.

4. Scal les

Scal les Refuge Member

No e-caller ,using a good short reed call,landing 1 white devil is well worth the work,get 3-5 doz chicken down,all e-callers are doing is making the birds more weary,

5. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Don't chase the x it's a muddy mess?:scratch me thinks your info is a little flawed at best. Hitting the x is more often a 2 out of 3 deal and often the difference between a good hunt and crap and not everyone hunts rice!

6. CUPTDUCK

CUPTDUCK Senior Refuge Member

May just be the difference in our situations. Your assumption is correct I’m hunting mostly levees and pastures in the middle of 6000 acres of rice and beans that I have total access to. It’s been my experience that it is much more enjoyable to get set up in a dry area, get comfortable and kill 20 or so, rather than chase them from hell to breakfast. To each his own.

KID CREOLE and hyper23 like this.
  7. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

I've traveled to ND a few times to hunt snows and blues. I usually hunt by myself. I've tried three dozen snow goose shells with two dozen silhouettes plus Canada silhouettes and full bodies. It was ok but what seemed to work the best was when I've hunted the x was three dozen Canada silhouettes with a half dozen snow goose silhouettes. Basically 40 decoys. I'd typically shoot a limit of Canada geese, limit of mallards and about six snows.

One hunt on the x, I used a dozen full body geese and eight full body mallards. Shot a limit of Canada geese, limit of mallards and six snows. Got out of the field before the big flocks showed. Came back the next day and shot a limit of mallards and four snow geese. Had my possession limit of Canada geese. NO SPINNERS were used! I've shot numerous limits of Canada geese over six full bodies decoys.

In the spring, I've shot the muddy x with only two dozen snow goose silhouettes and shot eight snow geese. I've also had great success using three dozen Canada silhouettes with only a dozen snow goose silhouettes. My best hunt was hunting sheet water in a muddy corn field with eighteen snow goose floaters and six snow goose full bodies. I shot twenty snows and blues in an hour with six being shot on the water after they landed. It was windy. 30 gusting to 40. One shot and they were gone. One flock of a hundred landed and I got on three.

Basically over the decades of going to ND, I've shot a couple hundred snow geese over small decoy spreads. I'd rather hunt this way more so than with a huge spread and a dozen hunters.

Typically in the spring to feel confident, I'll bring three dozen Canada silhouettes, three dozen snow goose silhouettes, two dozen snow goose floaters and six snow goose full bodies. I'll only deploy what I need.

If I were to hunt out there in the fall again. To feel confident field hunting, I'd bring four full body geese, one dozen full body mallards, three dozen Canada silhouettes and a dozen snow goose silhouettes.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    hunting1 and snipe n like this.