Minnesota regulation changes

Discussion in 'Minnesota Flyway Forum' started by MN Divers, Jun 29, 2021.

1. Bullet21XD

Bullet21XD Elite Refuge Member

Well...they are. You have to buy an additional license for the extra goose seasons.

I'm expecting the DNR to also add a teal license. Maybe, maybe not.

2. Bullet21XD

Bullet21XD Elite Refuge Member

You mean, when everything is freshly flooded and there's ducks literally everywhere!!

The DNR has tried their hand at MS projects. All that i've seen have been failures. It's not a "one and done" undertaking, in which the DNR is notorious. Every project has become a mostly dry, cattail choked, wasteland. Complete lack of maintenance...utter laziness. It really is proof they aren't in the waterfowl business.

3. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

Yep - they sure messed that one up didn't they.

4. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

Not an all or nothing exercise - but I'm guessing you know that.

So let's get back to the larger picture - can anyone point me in the direction of any evidence that "increased opportunities" (nice euphemism) have enhanced hunter recruitment, harvest, or lead to more hunter based conservation funds being raised?

5. KENNEDY63

I certainly can't fault the first part of your response. - although I could really care less, as we have historically shot quite a few teal on prior openers (and the weeks that followed) - and they had fewer pin feathers than these new targets will.....:l

The second part is just a display in intellectual ineptitude - "If you don't agree with me, you must not be much of a (insert activity here). :l:l Weak man.....

jrp267 likes this.
  6. KENNEDY63

Maybe.

But the real money lies in having those who use the resource the most pay their fair share. Since 80% of the ducks are shot by 20% of the hunters - I would prefer to see a tagging system. You shoot a possession limit - you buy a new duck stamp.

Institute that along with the rotating rest areas and we would have a good start.....

7. Paul Myrdahl

Paul Myrdahl Senior Refuge Member

I'm getting awfully sick if hearing them words, " pay their fair share." I buy a license. The rules say I'm allowed to have so many in possession. If I eat some I'm allowed to shoot more. It's not my fault I can eat and shoot more ducks than you! But, but, but it's not fair. Why does fair have anything to do with it. Sounds like my woman's 4 year old grand daughter.

8. RingbillRon

RingbillRon Refuge Member

Personally, I would like this path better than focusing everything on hunter recruitment. Big fan of resting areas as well.

Another idea to improve things is take a spot like Rice lake in Savage/Bloomington. Build 4 permanent blinds out there and do a draw for those blinds and limit the hunting to weekends and Wednesdays. It would turn into a decent spot with productive hunts instead of the mess it is right now. I am sure there are plenty of other areas where this could be done. Charge for the draw which could cover all cost.

KENNEDY63 likes this.
  9. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

MN will do everything they can to stop the bleed (loss of license sales and thus income generation). Look at spring turkey season.

Not sure if MN has ever published a detailed report on hunter profiles ... I guess to be honest I have not ever looked. I am not sure I even care. I do not see the anti-hunter crowd having any traction what so ever. The anti-gun crowd ... yes they need to be monitored and fought.

Flipping through cable channels you see all these reality shows featuring animal harvesting (killing) and even trapping and not just on some outdoor channel.

The conservation orgs also push hunter recruitment and total numbers ... not sure why since most of these organizations $$ follow the 80:20 rule right ?? Twenty percent of donors account for eighty percent of revenue ???

Is hunter recruitment (new hunters and/or hunters with say under 3 years experience) increasing ... but just not at the pace of those leaving the support (death, too frail, lost interest, etc...) ? Or are people bailing and poor recruitment doubling down on numbers lost ??

Average hunter age is getting older ... but this is as much to do with the baby boomer population bubble.

10. KENNEDY63

Sounds like your woman's 4 year old daughter has a bit more sense that than you. :l

The business model of the DNR relative to harvest is broken. In what other "business" can you slap down 35 bucks and "take" what amounts to an unlimited amount of a finite product?

"Hey gas station guy - can I give you $35.00 and get a bottle of Coke (my daily limit) every day for the next 4 months?" This is pretty simple stuff.........