Missouri Duck Parks - Perspectives

Discussion in 'Missouri Flyway Forum' started by DagoDucks, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Timber

Timber Refuge Member

There are several things that I agree and disagree with, in this ongoing saga! I understand that the MDC holds a lot of ducks that were at one time using private lands. The MDC ground is not limited to non private land owners, just because you own land doesn't mean you can't apply for a reservation or go try to draw in. What I don't agree with is people that once relied on public hunting as their main source, then turn around and bad mouth the MDC and then still hunt public ground. If you don't agree with what they're doing, that's your choice, but don't get on here and bash them.

2. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like an employee is on here, boys! Those that do hunt it, ARE very much entitled to praise or protest what they do. Those that hunt it, see what’s going on and for the most part MDC does ask for feedback. How they respond to feedback, works both ways but they always do what they want. Everybody in this state pays taxes, so everybody can beach if they want.

10GAGENUT likes this.
  3. WuChang

WuChang Elite Refuge Member

Partner.....I can't remember the last time I hunted a duck park.
    I purchased a lifetime license several years back and purchased an annual license and all the stamps to hunt and fish for years before that. I also have paid the 1/8 cent sales tax on every damn thing I have purchased since I don't remember when.

If that doesn't allow me to point out things that I think are poorly done by the managers of PUBLIC land then we come decidedly different points of view. The place I hunt probably is less than 200 yards from a PUBLIC WMA. What happens on that WMA determines the number of ducks that MIGHT fly over and like the looks of the place and work our decoys.

If the management practices employed by PUBLIC employees on PUBLIC land adversely effect the opportunities I and my partners have paid for with our tax money (property tax), on ground that we have worked our butts off to improve its capacity to support waterfowl and other wildlife YEAR ROUND, then I am going to say something. Add all that sales tax from buying trucks, farming equipment etc, and I think I qualify to express my opinion whenever I damn well please.

The property is being reviewed by DU for further improvement and we have already pledged our share of the projects cost. That's PRIVATE money by the way so I know my opinion counts on our property.

I used to hunt a lot of PUBLIC ground all over the state-- some of it was good-- some poor. Even with all the nonsense, it was all that was available. When the opportunity to OWN private ground and try and make hunting it an enjoyable experience without green cards, blind drawings, PUBLIC meetings that asked for input and then ignored and all the other nonsense--- I jumped on it and never looked back.

If I was satisfied with non management, I'd head to Dresser Island and watch pelicans and black birds knowing that the MDC only 'offers me an opportunity' to shoot a duck.

After all the years I've hunted Missouri........If that is bashing--- then guilty as charged

JDP, longshot lucas, HJP12 and 5 others like this.
  4. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

That’s me WuChang. 20 years ago I bit the bullet and bought 80 acres on the Mississippi bottom and put it in the WRP program, I’ve never looked back. The only MDC person I have contact is with the local Game Warden and he hunts with us once a week.

5. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

As far as hunting with GW, there’s no “Dislike” option for me to hit, for this post. Don’t blame you for buying land, consider yourself lucky.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  6. Timber

Timber Refuge Member

If your saying that I'm an employee, you couldn't be farther from the truth, if not I apologize for thinking this was directed at me!

7. WuChang

I hear ya brother--more power to ya

Our place might not be much but it is ours-- glad you got your little piece of heaven and you and yours enjoy for many years.

The old 'daytime is for shooting and night time is for driving' gig gets old after you hit a certain mileage so to speak.

Looked at the east side duck hunting set up a long time ago and realized that if you don't own it--- then eventually you aren't going to hunt it.

Example:
    Ask all the yahoos that used to hunt Sam Ford's and what happened when that crusty old bustard died. Just glad The Wingman and I were able to read the tea leaves and were in the position to do something about it.

I know a ton of guys that USED to lease some good places only to be outbid by people that have deeper pockets than they have time.

bullpinnie and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  8. wakenda

wakenda Senior Refuge Member

Buying your own place is great . Lots of wrp ground for sale the reason it's for sale is ducks don't use it anymore. Once the ducks find pool 1 on grand pass they don't leave till it freezes up.

9. WuChang

Lot of truth in that statement

The farm next to us on the north has WRP and corn. They flood all of the ground.
    We were sharing a cold one and I asked him how many ducks have they killed in the WRP Portion since they bought it 10 years ago

He answered NONE

I said NONE?

He repeated NONE

Walked over to our property line and looked into the WRP just before sundown and didn’t see a duck.......didn’t see any in what is left of his corn either

Go figure

10. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

You got that right only in my case the landowner just decided to stop leasing to everyone, as luck would have it he did offer to sell me the place we leased for a reasonable price. Just was not in the financial position at that particular time to buy it which I still kick myself in the butt for.