Mixing species in decoy spreads

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by lockingblock, Aug 10, 2019.

1. lockingblock

lockingblock Refuge Member

Is there a general rule on mixed species spreads in terms of which should go where or which geese don’t play well together?

Was thinking about some duck decoys as well ....same question, where in the goose spread and with which species of goose decoy?

2. Drake91

Drake91 Senior Refuge Member

Not sure how well this will answer ur question as up here on the east side of pa i general only get canada geese.. and I've mixed mallards in with them on late season field hunts worked pretty good even had woodducks decoy into em in early in october... but mixing more than that I have no experience with... only mixtures of decoy set ups I've seen on videos an TV was specks an snows mixed... I dont recall anyone mixing canadas in with em... but I dont know lol

3. lockingblock

lockingblock Refuge Member

Thanks. We get a ton of white geese....tens of thousands, but not as many Canadas.

I have a good corn field this year but it will be mostly dry (AR)...as it’s not flooded and is not flat enough to really put water on properly.

I’ve never done a dry field setup for ducks or geese but I’m tempted to try both. Just wondering what to mix with what and how.

4. Drake91

Drake91 Senior Refuge Member

Ya I hear alot of hunting up here is done on dry corn fields cause sometimes half way through the season ponds an marshes freeze... only open water is where birds are roosting... can make tough hunting at times trying to find that one hot field to hunt an if no one else beats ya to it... but it can be awesome

5. brentbullets

brentbullets Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

If hunting dry fields Canada decoys and a couple of spinners is all you should need.

Drake91 and Wareagle1 like this.
  6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

I don't think there is a 'rule' about how to go about it. Everyone has opinions.

I suggest placing your blind and decoys according to what you are targeting first. Using Canada hunting as an example, we are targeting mostly Specks, or dark geese. There are snows in the area, so it makes sense to have some out. There is also a chance for ducks, early.
    So, the dark goose decoys are out front, and our layouts placed to facilitate shooting in that direction.
    The snow decoys are usually off to one side, usually the left, since it is easiest to swing far to the left, but not right. There is usually some mixing of darks and whites along the edge. Some.
    Duck dekes, if we put them out, will be behind us. Ducks (mallards) will decoy well to goose dekes, so where we place them isn't that important. I might put a few (3-5) in with the goose dekes. NOT with the snow dekes.

Now, if I were targeting ducks in that same area, everything would be reversed. Duck dekes out front, dark goose dekes off to a side, or behind us.

I think, given a choice, a duck will choose to land with a duck, and a goose with a goose. Snows have no manners, they might go anywhere. They are keying into the best looking eating spot, and damn be the neighbors.

Where I hunt locally, ducks are the norm, but there are geese. It is a small river, maybe 50 yards across. My duck dekes are set in the kill hole, and all my efforts are to make that as good a set as I can. I do bring some goose dekes, and will place them to my left. Again, easier to swing that way for a right handed shooter. In this situation, I keep the groups separate, so each type of bird can target landing in their own species.

All this is just my way of doing things. I could search the web and find dozens of pictures showing ducks, Canadas, and Snows all mixed in. Those are usually unpressured birds, in the off season. As I said, I believe birds like to focus on their own kind.

7. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

I hunt Canadas and shoot a few ducks
    Mid season Ill add a dozen snow goose decoys for looks and the possible snow goose
    Very early and late ill add a pair of swan decoys

8. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

I hunt Canadas and shoot a few ducks
    Mid season Ill add a dozen snow goose decoys for looks and the possible snow goose
    Very early and late ill add a pair of swan decoys

9. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

I dont think there are any hard set rules the fun of waterfowling is to experiment and see what works best in your area and situation.
    One place we hunt (dry field)the ducks will mix in with the geese another spot(pasture pond) nothing will come near unless the ducks and geese are separated.

10. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

;)The general rule is sometimes yes sometimes no.. :)