MN - Day 3

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by SkolMNDuckHunter, Apr 17, 2020.

1. SkolMNDuckHunter

SkolMNDuckHunter Senior Refuge Member

Much warmer this morning, 25 degrees instead of 15 at shooting light. Birds were fired up. 20200417_102101.jpg

2. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Turkey Hunters Forum Moderator

NorCal: specks,sprig,gobblers,blacktails.
    And fired down, too. :yes
    Nice job. Beautiful baby:)

3. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

Nice bird. Congrats on that and your new addition

4. SkolMNDuckHunter

Thanks guys! Got word my little brother got his bird this morning too, what an awesome day.

burgawboy and Luigi Daniele like this.
  5. SkolMNDuckHunter

Here's my little brother's bird from this morning too 20200417_0759021.jpg

6. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

Well done and congrats!! :tu

7. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Elite Refuge Member

Nice job!

The property I have permission on doesn’t over winter birds, so I wait until the “C” season. Once they start dispersing the birds show up. From scouting and conversations there are a couple groups of birds there. Since last week. Just a mater of getting in front of them.

Looking forward to sunrise.

SkolMNDuckHunter likes this.
  8. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Turkey Hunters Forum Moderator

NorCal: specks,sprig,gobblers,blacktails.
    Please post up a report. :)
    Good luck!

9. Neighbor Guy

The birds made me work for it this year for sure. 3:30am wake up calls and putting birds to bed each night.

The hens were in control this year. Toms gobbled in the morning just before fly down from that point they were silent. Still displaying and strutting. Not not sounding off at all. The matriarch hen would gather up the ladies, then bring them to the toms parade ground and he would follow them away. Nothing I could do or say seemed to convince him otherwise.

This morning I noticed he had a friend with him. Still could care less about any sort of calling. So I decided it was time for travel route hunting. If you can’t call em, waylay em.

Made the field at 3:30pm with a plan on how to get to the spot they had been seen exiting the field. Bumped a Tom and a Jake on my way, but they did not see me. So I back tracked and took the long way round. They took a couple of hours to work their way back round the field and into sight. I swear these birds can sense when something isn’t right. So instead of their normal route they cut in early. Taking a deer trail instead of the shooting lane they had been using for days. But the 20ga and the triple beard is hard to get away from at 12 yds. Don’t need much of a hole at that distance.

Luigi Daniele likes this.
  10. Neighbor Guy

6C00F6D7-01BF-4F79-847E-ADDFB07BCB63.jpeg

They came in to my right just the other side of the deadfall and that big oak. Very large hay field to the left high oak ridge over looking a swamp to the right. F367F384-DFDC-4674-8C55-84A6D445B739.jpeg

The lane looked cleaner than it turned out to be. But it was bang flop. He didn’t even do the crazy wing flap we have all seen them do. Was going to try to do a euro mount like was posted in another thread here.... not so much on this one. Hit him a little hard.