MN DNR waterfowl survey

Discussion in 'Minnesota Flyway Forum' started by Zehyani, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Zehyani

Zehyani Senior Refuge Member

2. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Elite Refuge Member

KENNEDY63 likes this.
  3. Zehyani

Zehyani Senior Refuge Member

You're right. I missed that.
    My apologies, I did not want to hijack or double post, just was not paying attention.
    Personally, I'm against having an early teal season as i think it will disrupt all the other ducks, affect the youth hunt and maybe the opener.
    I'm for 5 canadas, but so far, have not gotten 3 on any hunt.

4. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Elite Refuge Member

Your not the only one who’s against the teal hunt. I think most are, but the DNR feels the need to follow everyone else.

Again, if they truly listened, we would get a sandhill crane season. Even if they had a tag system like turkey hunting. But they won’t die to bird watchers and hurt feelings.

5. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

They aren't allowing a crane season. Sure looks like they are allowing more opportunities for us. Sound good to me.

6. basinmeyer

basinmeyer Refuge Member

Just to be clear the survey many of us took a month or two ago created input which was used to come up with proposed regulation changes. The online meeting was covering the actual proposed rule changes and there is a comment period open through April 11 on these proposals.

Remember some times the state DNR is handicapped by either the legislature and/or federal regulations.
    I submitted my thoughts on the proposed regulation survey as well as some specific questions/comments emailed to Steve Cordts with a very quick response. I was impressed.

7. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

Expanded "opportunities" is one of the reasons that we are in the sad state of affairs we are in relative to waterfowl in Minnesota.

With all of the expanded hunting opportunities, one would think that we would have doubled or tripled our hunter and harvest numbers.

8. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

I guess I will go with the DNR.

9. Bullet21XD

Bullet21XD Elite Refuge Member

10 years ago, some people thought we'd have killed all the ducks by now.
    I'm still waiting for the liberal framework to include a much higher daily limit...like double or triple! That's my definition of "expanded opportunity".

10. SkolMNDuckHunter

SkolMNDuckHunter Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for posting this followup comment link. I'm very happy about the 5 Canada bag limit all season and getting rid of the stupid 4:00 quit time. I don't think we'll be eating Sandhill Cranes until they are in every suburban backyard pecking at Fido. Very disappointed in that.