Decoy Forum Sponsors

MN Game Fair 2019 Carving

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Neighbor Guy, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Senior Refuge Member

I’m trying my best, as most of us know it’s a dying art. I can’t leave anything alone and since I want to bring these back for the second weekend I went ahead and placed the eyes today and did some body filler. I also hollowed the two wooden birds and will be glueing up base boards. 7C155025-2921-4184-97F4-608F54D90A24.jpeg 33CFE458-99C0-4C69-B07D-F7325CFAEE8A.jpeg 55E6D706-538E-4A81-9C14-DA6CF8AF7279.jpeg

Don’t mind the lines on that ringneck drake. A very bad day is in his future...

Sleddman, SWAMPLVR and GK1 like this.
  2. Neighbor Guy

99AAB717-DE09-46FF-A813-63566C5E5433.jpeg
    I photocopy the bottom of the birds to get the pattern for the bottom boards. Then glue said pattern to the 3/4” cedar board.

3. Neighbor Guy

E0BF4829-DDF4-4BFE-89BC-9319799CB28E.jpeg

The base boards get cut out with a bandsaw to about 1/4” from the edge lines on the page. Then I sand them to fit using the disk sander with the table set to 7 1/2degrees I want the bottom board to fit in like a cork. 5FCE79F3-F9AC-4495-BD79-D0BA99ED1449.jpeg
    I put a spent shotgun primer in the cavity so you can tell it’s hollowed when you shake it. Some guys use a split shot, or beads, I use a primer. I collect several spent shells from the duck blind in the fall and pull the primers. It’s dumb, but I like the sentimental part of it. Each bird has a history before we even shoot over it. 088E1B5E-9718-4C13-BC2E-B38BA84D3C16.jpeg

This method of hollowing is way different than a lot of guys. It’s how I learned to do it. I have done other methods, but this is the one I keep coming back to.

Sleddman likes this.
  4. Neighbor Guy

D504EE53-B3FB-4D6A-94D5-D1D4A57B9707.jpeg
    The boards are glued in with waterproof construction adhesive. Then after it cures I sand it back to flat/flush on the belt sander.

Sleddman likes this.
  5. SWAMPLVR

SWAMPLVR Elite Refuge Member

Hope the people that came through the game fair enjoyed the carving.

6. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I always put a new penny inside my hollowed decoys. Never any doubt when the bird was carved (for the collectors a century from now).

Decoy carving a dying art? I'd bet good money there are more decoy carvers turning out birds today than in any other time in history.

7. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There are maybe more carvers now than in the heyday, but the old guys carved many more multiples of what is carved now. There were many carvers that carved thousands of decoys. Most of the early carvers were market hunters and decoys were their stock in trade plus many were sold to non carvers who hunted. No plastic for them.

I put two grains of corn in my decoys.

8. Neighbor Guy

I’m willing to stand corrected. I just know that we have lost many more members of our club to the great decoy shed over the horizon than we have had join our ranks in the last few years.

Perhaps it’s regional. Here in MN that candle is burning out.

Sleddman likes this.
  9. Sleddman

Sleddman Senior Refuge Member

i can agree with neighbor guy. i see the same decline in the steady carvers. on the east coast it has been a steady decline in both the working decoys and decorative decoys. in its hay days of the late 70 s and through the 80 s it would take you two days to see everything at the world show at ocean city maryland. now you can see it all in about three hours or less. as for working decoys it is the same decline in numbers of birds and carvers. although there are a hand full of steady carvers , most of the old timers have past or retired. the good thing is that i see young carvers going to classes and the spark will be carried on by a new generation of youngsters. we should all as carvers do something to pass on the craft. good job neighbor guy.

10. Bender

Bender Elite Refuge Member

Been gone from the club there over ten years now.

Looks like Tom Fleming’s scaup trio?

Once, I brought in a bufflehead I had been working on, but it had a split in the body. I was thinking of making it look folky with some antiqued paint, but Marv overheard me fishing for suggestions, pulled out a pocket knife and quickly cut the wood back to the root of the split. He handed the decoy back to me and told me to “fill that with putty.”

I was always a fan of His carving vise, and the iron base He had for it. That sucker was heavy duty, and He could carve a body into shape in no time at all.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.