Monarchs

BJH

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
The last three days they're everywhere. It's been a while since we've been in the middle of things, regarding this migration. What are y'all seeing? I used to love to see their grand passage, and its signal to fall.
Probably haven’t seen a grand passage here in 30 years! West Central IL. But, l remember them as many as leaves on a tree or looks like a whole field was covered!

DrakeStar

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
We been covered up in yellow Swallowtails like usual. Monarchs and Painted Lady have been non existent this year.

stevena198301

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Had a big push last week of various butterflies. This one was dead on my porch when I got home today.

877FE335-82B4-414C-BF1E-62E4E71BE1B1.jpeg

nobands

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Probably haven’t seen a grand passage here in 30 years! West Central IL. But, l remember them as many as leaves on a tree or looks like a whole field was covered!
Same here in Central Iowa. Seeing very few and and I have a few acres of old pasture that has a lot of milkweed, this year very few butterflies around it and only saw 1 caterpillar. I look for them when I'm down there as a indicator of if its getting used .
I sprayed a area in the backyard for 1000 or so Sq ft pollinator garden a week ago, going with seed from a local company.

The 1st few years we lived here around the 1st week of September the trees would have thousands in them for a few days , but like BJH that's been 25 yto 30 years ago now.
My son works for a county conservation board and they all have tagging events this time of year.
Said the numbers they see also seem lower this year. And that's in and around a thousand acres of native Prairie.
My granddaughter did get a letter a couple years ago that one she tagged was recaptured in Mexico.
Saw lots of yellow swallowtails and what I call purple Monarchs this summer, many more than I remember for a number of years.

Last edited:

waterrat

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Between pesticides and 5G signals messing up their navigation, it may be that they are on the way out. Same for bees...

nobands

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Between pesticides and 5G signals messing up their navigation, it may be that they are on the way out. Same for bees...
I'll agree on pesticides.
I've blamed them for years for our downturn in upland bird survival , right behind habitat loss .You just don't see the insects that poults survive on like the past .
I thought you were jesting on the 5g deal till I looked it up , see there are studies on its effects on migrations of birds and insects.
Maybe them southern boys are barking up the wrong tree when they raise their fist and yell at flooded corn .;)

redjones

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Saw around 1000 a couple of days ago in NW Indiana while I was dove hunting,they were swarming on a small oak tree near where I was standing.
Haven't seen a migration in a long time,probably 30 plus years,it was nice to see them.

NJ219bands

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I didn’t see any in NJ yet. My brother rescued a tagged Monarch from the ocean a few years ago. //monarchwatch.org is interesting.

Latest posts