Mossberg Silver Reserve Review...

NDTerminator

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Found this review on the Mossberg Silver Reserve and I thought I would share it. I would add that I consulted some aftermarket choke companies and was told that the SR uses the Berretta/Benelli Mobilchoke system. Mossberg is reportedly in the process of making extended tubes for it, as well. I concur on all points. I flat out love my Silver Reserve!...

New Double Gun Makes The Grade
Story and Photos by Kevin Michalowski

Mossberg’s new imported double gun has everything hunters need in a shotgun – without the frills.

If the thought of dragging $2,000 worth of walnut and steel through briars and under a barbed wire fence makes you cringe, now you can have an outstanding field-grade double gun for about $500.

Wait! Before you shake your head and say, “Yeah, just another cheap imported double,” think again. Mossberg has teamed up with Turkish gunmaker Kayhan Art S.S. to import a value-priced over-under shotgun that doesn’t leave you thinking you’ve just swung a 2x4 at a passing bird. And, frankly, after having fired some of the guns made in China and Russia, I wasn’t expecting much more than that. Mossberg’s Silver Reserve left me pleasantly surprised.

Mossberg has long been known for providing hunters with exceptional value when it comes to pump and autoloading guns. This new stackbarrel will build on that tradition and start a new chapter in the company history.

The Silver Reserve is currently offered in a 12-gauge model with 28-inch barrels. I was able to put the gun through its paces on a local pheasant preserve, at the range and shooting some fast-flying doves.

Like all Mossberg products, this gun doesn’t have a lot of frills. Still, the action is stout and functions smoothly. The wood-to-metal fit and especially the fitting around the recoil pad is much better than you’d expect from a value-priced shotgun. The black walnut on the gun I tested was well figured, with a very nice satin finish. The checkering, though hand-cut, is typical of modern mass production, but the wrist was carved with slight palm swell that filled my hand perfectly as I gripped the stock and shouldered the gun. It’s a nice touch and one of several little surprises this gun offers.

Photo: Five choke tubes, including a pair of improved-cylinder tubes for target shooters, are included with the Silver Reserve gun.

Another nice touch is the recoil pad. While one big-name gunmaker is offering a $2,000 shotgun with a genuine black plastic buttplate, this $500 Mossberg sports a smooth, soft rubber recoil pad complete with a small plastic insert at the top. The insert serves to keep the soft rubber from catching on your shirt as you shoulder the gun.

The Silver Reserve also comes with chrome-lined bores and five choke tubes, from full to a pair of improved-cylinder tubes that any skeet shooter would love. Unfortunately, these are not compatible with tubes from Mossberg’s other guns. But the wide variety of tubes shipped with each Silver Reserve means shooters should have no trouble finding the right one for their shooting activity. The tubes are all stout, adequately marked and easy to install with the supplied wrench. The owner’s manual says they are rated for lead, steel and other non-toxic shot.

Photo: The imported gun has extractors, but won't eject spent shells – a feature the author can live without.

Right out of the box, the gun felt heavy. At 7.7 pounds, it certainly is not an ultralight gun. But static weight at the clubhouse is different than dynamic handling in the field. The gun is a bit barrel heavy if you try to balance it on the hinge pin, but it handles and swings like a gun costing twice as much. The extra weight out front makes follow-through an afterthought, and clay targets from the 16-yard line were in real danger. In the field, none of the hunters who tried it noticed the extra weight. They did comment how nicely it handled and how easy it was to swing.

The single trigger with the barrel selector on the tang safety worked just the same as it does on more expensive shotguns, locking into each position with an audible click and staying engaged no matter what kind of rounds we put downrange. The action lever on the gun I was shooting rode a bit off-center, but its operation was smooth and positive. The extractors lifted the shells nicely for unloading. Some shooters might grouse about a shotgun without ejectors, but on both of my other more expensive double guns, I’ve removed the ejectors. Part of the beauty of a double is not having spent hulls flying around. If I need to reload any faster, I’ll carry a pump.

setter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
may have to look at one of these,nice price and with 5 choke tubes ,how can ya beat it plus fancy gold birds.... oh boy. you can see this gun on their web site @www,mossberg.com. click on international sales

Grand Passage

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have a Khan o/u. Great gun for the $. HERE is a link to their website.

Boudreaux

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Just purchased the Silver Reserve from the local Bass Pro Shops for $500. Compared to the Traditions O/U they carried for about the same price. Traditions was fixed choke, and the Mossberg comes with 5 choke tubes.

I really like the way the gun felt and looked. I don't think you find a better O/U in this price range. Can't wait to get out and shoot it this weekend.

NDTerminator

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
An Army buddy from Iowa is up on a fishing vacation and I let him shoot clays with my SR yesterday. He went nuts for it, is going to get one for pheasant hunting...

frazier2209

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
who makes that camo O/U?

RRGolden

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Browning had a camo over and under but I am not sure if they are still making it. It seems like it was for a limited time.

NDTerminator

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
The camo O/U that is seen now and then is made by Traditions. I believe it's called a Waterfowl or Waterfowler...

setter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
O/u That I Bought From A Guy That Camo'ed It Himself By Painting But It Is A 3 1/2 Inch Gun And I Only Paid Two Hundred Dollars. It Is Ugly But Shoots Very Well

dog duck gun

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Browning did indeed make a camo O/U that was chambered for 3.5 for a short while.The camo one was Citori Lightning with dura-touch finish...SWEET...