motion decoys and jerk spreaders

normant

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Hey Gang,

I'm curious to know what y'all think about the relative effectiveness of using a jerk spreader as opposed to a motion decoy.

I have no moral opposition to motion decoys (at least not yet, but then I'm not fully evolved , either). I do, however, prefer most things in my life to be simple. If a jerk spreader is sufficiently attractive to ducks, then I'd go with that.

FYI, I've been hunting a public waterway where a lot of the adjacent blinds use spinning wing decoys. Until I'd seen how effective they were, I'd dismissed them as gadgets. Now it's a matter of self-defense.

normant

South Fork 412

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have both and use them depending on the situation. We have been hunting a lot of flooded fields this season and birds are using them regularly. I used to put the spinner out everytime but I haven't used mine once this year. I figure a lot of birds that are coming to these fields know that they are headed there. So I don't believe I need the spinner. Now that it is later in the year and we have pressured these spots I have rigged up some jerk cords (Thanks to some pressure from our Salty Ducks). The have worked great. It is just enough motion to fool the wary ducks! I have actually become very fond of the jerk cord. As for the spinner. When we hunt our river I put it out everytime. Because we get a lot of passing ducks that might be headed somewhere else, but the spinner seems to pull them in great. Also on the river we might be tucked back in a cove and our spread not be very visible so with the spinner I think more ducks see our lay out. Anyways just my .02 cents.

Good Luck,
South Fork

Misplaced Ducker

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I think that as the season goes on the ducks get more and more shy of the spinners. They still get their attention but they won't get within gun range of them so a remote would be best late in the year.
Just my opinion.
MD

SWD

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have been using a motion duck butt this year with a lot of success. I use my boat battery when I'm in my boat and when I walk in to spots (beaver ponds and creeks) I use a small 12Volt battery.
I hunted with buddy for the first time this year on Friday. He almost rolled over laughing when I pulled out the "motion duck butt" but when the birds started landing in the spread right next to the duck butt he quickly changed his tune.. He insisted that I bring it on Saturday..

swd

WOODIE13

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
They have their time and place. No wind days, early season, etc, but later in the year ducks are a little more spooky and tend to circle just out of range and leave. Last year, we would pull ours around 7:30 or so and our shooting actually increased. Jerk cords are always good to have with you on the calm days. Just some more tricks.

Latest posts