Muck boots

CookMan

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I love my Muck boots. They are warm and very comfortable. Just go to a running store get your foot measured and get supports. They help tremendously.

Sam Ortmann

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Obviously, you've never been to Kodiak.
Watch Deadliest Catch. They all wearing Xtra Tuffs.
A little mud in warm weather equates to child's play.
If I was just standing in it I’d tend to agree with you. But most every laboring job I’ve ever worked has put the exact same stressors on a boot as hiking and then more.
Every pair of work boots I’ve ever owned has pulled double duty as hunting/hiking/outdoor lifestyle boots and they’ve been no worse worse for the wear. I’ve tried to use outdoor lifestyle boots as work boots a couple times cause they’re more supportive and comfortable and all and they’ve never held up.

buck_master_2001

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
The oil rigs gave us xtratuf steel toe rubber boots for doing well completions. They are tough as nails and solidly comfortable. However, I prefer my muck woody max for hunting, hiking and everyday wear. I have no doubt the xtratuf would hold up longer to hardcore work. They are built for that kind of environment and are definitely the boot of choice for extreme wet working environments.

peewee

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have worn Muck and Lacrosse for years with only a few issues. My main problem with both brands is the felt rubs off on the heel and they start rubbing. Had a friend tell me about a new boot that just came out named LITE Boots. Ordered a pair this weekend and I can say they are by FAR the most comfortable boots I have ever put on my feet. The LITE boots feel like you are walking on air, truly unbelievable for a rubber boot.

https://liteboots.com/

Holesinthesky

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Wore Lacrosse for man years.
Never found a pair that kept my feet warm. ( unless bought heavy insulation, then was so heavy thought I was wearing concrete shoes.)
Most were not comfortable for all day wear.

Decided on a pair of mucks, and have been wearing them for 20+ years.
I bought cheapest ones I could find, with the sole like this:
EEA4934E-061D-490A-BFB0-E2171E685A56.jpeg

I learned they were great for lite work, but if I wore all day.My feet hurt.

Friend told me to by a pair with a sole like this:
639F5802-998B-467E-A04B-FA9C3D53E849.jpeg

I wore an extra ( older pair he had) for a day.
Even though they were older, broken in for his feet, they were comfortable. AND my feet never got cold.

I went the next day and bought a pair.
Ended up buying mucks for the wife and kids.

I would say a good measure of a boots warmth, is if a kid wears them and says their feet are not cold.

Like the OP, I have some ortho issues, partial amputation, fused bones/joints, pins and screws, nerve damage.

Mucks are my choice. Have 2 pair sitting in closest right now.
There is also a pair of Lacrosse sitting next to them waiting to be worn out, but the mucks always get used.

Light use 10-12 years
Medium use 7-12 years
hard use 5-7 years
abused 2-5 years

stevena198301

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue with every brand I've owned. I stress them at the bend of the toe, and they split. Usually go thru a pair every 2 years. Hate you are having such issues, OP. I'm down to buying cheap off-brand ones now, due to none of them being able to survive that same split in that same area. My current TideWe boots are extra roomy vs other brands. You probably need a tighter boot.

nebgoosehunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I'm getting about 4 years out of my Muck's and it would be longer but the heel on the inside of the boot wears out all the way down to the hard rubber. Even then, it's not enough to stop wearing them, just figured it was time to get a new pair.

duckbuster5901

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Wore Lacrosse for man years.
Never found a pair that kept my feet warm. ( unless bought heavy insulation, then was so heavy thought I was wearing concrete shoes.)
Most were not comfortable for all day wear.

Decided on a pair of mucks, and have been wearing them for 20+ years.
I bought cheapest ones I could find, with the sole like this:
View attachment 357998
I learned they were great for lite work, but if I wore all day.My feet hurt.

Friend told me to by a pair with a sole like this:
View attachment 357999
I wore an extra ( older pair he had) for a day.
Even though they were older, broken in for his feet, they were comfortable. AND my feet never got cold.

I went the next day and bought a pair.
Ended up buying mucks for the wife and kids.

I would say a good measure of a boots warmth, is if a kid wears them and says their feet are not cold.

Like the OP, I have some ortho issues, partial amputation, fused bones/joints, pins and screws, nerve damage.

Mucks are my choice. Have 2 pair sitting in closest right now.
There is also a pair of Lacrosse sitting next to them waiting to be worn out, but the mucks always get used.

Light use 10-12 years
Medium use 7-12 years
hard use 5-7 years
abused 2-5 years
Evidently arch support in the lug sole model works for you. I was the exact opposite in mucks. Firtst pair were the lugged model, while very warm they actually hurt my back after walking any distance. Switched to the first type you showed and can walk all day in them. But they,re not as warm for sedimentary hunting during extreme cold.