Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Mud buddy prop question

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by IowaWaterfowler10, Nov 7, 2020.

1. IowaWaterfowler10

IowaWaterfowler10 Senior Refuge Member

Have an 1854 prodigy. Hanging a mud buddy 5000 off the back. Ran it today 4 guys 4 dozen floaters a dog and 2 bags of silos and it did a whole 8mph. Obviously this has to be the prop right? Any suggestions?

2. Bullet21XD

Bullet21XD Elite Refuge Member

That's a lot of weight!

Is your prop worn? What prop? If you've lost some diameter and most of the cup, it won't carry a load.

3. ducksandcorn

ducksandcorn New Member

I have a mud buddy 4400. You should of been flying. I’ve seen mine underperforming just like this. Simple fix for me was to open the vent on the gas cap. Hope this helps.

4. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Don't know. Is the motor reaching full rpm (governor-controlled)? If the motor is only reaching half its rated rpm, then it might not be the prop. Does the engine seem to be running strong at 8mph?? If it is, perhaps a pulley is slipping on its shaft, or a belt has sheared its teeth. Look at what's happening with an open mind.
    MY guess is NO, it's not the prop. You'd have to have a prop with 50% of its blade area gone to limit you to that speed.

5. IowaWaterfowler10

IowaWaterfowler10 Senior Refuge Member

It’s a 3 blade prop. Motor is basically brand new so the prop isn’t hardly worn at all. Motor seems fine. Unloaded the boat and it ran two of us fine At 27mph. Muddy buddy recommended 2 blade instead.

6. Bullet21XD

Bullet21XD Elite Refuge Member

Yeah, a Big Blade is the way to go. Hammers are OK, but they don't handle well on my boat...so I can't give an honest opinion. Many guys like them. When he get's more in stock, the Boat Dr(Hanrahan, La) has a very good prop. They run better than a BB for me.

So keep in mind. These aren't outboards. They don't have gearcases, large blade surfaces,or hubs to aid in weight carrying ability. You need thrust to push the boat fast enough to get out of the water. If your prop is wearing, the first attribute to suffer is your ability to run with a load. You simply can't push the boat enough to climb out of the water.

All the 3 blades are basically junk for hunting props. They don't handle weight well. And don't think just because a prop is new"ish", that it isn't worn. These props get burned down in no time. I've ruined one in a weekend.

7. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Big Blade or Hammer...ditch the 3 blade prop.

8. Olefart

Olefart Senior Refuge Member

You didn't mention what gearing you have in drive, and what your WOT RPM is. Heavy empty boat and with a large load you might have to change your prop shaft gear to to something larger. Usually the Hammr prop will help with pushing heavy loads, if everything else is Okay.

9. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

If youre running a red Atwood plastic tank theres this "white button" you have to push on when its new otherwise the tank will not vent. It clicks when you do it. Its on the inside of the gas cap. Not an obvious thing.
    An arkansas kid just for giggles checked mine and pointed out my cherry wasn't "popped".
    Might be that

10. feetdown71

feetdown71 Senior Refuge Member

3 blade for OPEN water no vegetation.......Big Blade for any water type and decent for speed, not real good for big loads unless properly WORKED.......Hammer great for big loads not real good for speed BUT your motor HAS to be able to turn it!!!! New Boat Dr prop seems to be the best of both worlds between the BB and Hammer........light load with the Boat Dr my combo ran 5mph faster BUT I have yet to try a big load.......most of what everybody is saying its just as good as the Hammer for big loads.