Mule deer

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by cholt, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

White tail aren't near as tough as a muley that's been pressured.

2. Brottboss

Brottboss Elite Refuge Member

BF76A517-3B2C-4260-BB8D-02722A6B08D5.jpeg AAF74CB0-647C-4B2D-85DA-901DA2925A25.jpeg
    Virtually invisible

Sweatliner likes this.
  3. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

Brottboss likes this.
  4. Sweatliner

Sweatliner Elite Refuge Member

Love the pic in the rocks Steve.

We went hunting yesterday and took a friend of my Sons who is new to deer hunting. Gave him a list of everything to take. 3:30am when he hops in the truck he says I got it all. Get up to where we’re hunting and he doesn’t have his binocs. He says ya I couldn’t find them, kinda in a way like he didn’t need them. Mule deer have a giant white butt if they are feeding away from you can be easy to spot, at times . Public land blacktails on the other hand are tough to find. The only reason my Son got a buck yesterday was methodical glassing. Saw something white that looked out of place. Was the face of an old buck. Kid used our glasses off and on. Don’t think he’ll ever forget them again.

When you do head out West to hunt get off the roads and trails, be at your glassing location in the dark and begin your glassing when there’s enough light for your glass ( that’s where the $$ glass pays off )

Also start your research now when apps are due to the states you want to apply for

5. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

What the guys in the know are saying is true.

I've knocked around with my brother out west, and am heading there in a week to help him. He drew both Bull elk and buck mule deer in one of the better Colorado units (he is a resident). I hope to draw someday, but until then I am going out to help him glass and hopefully pack out, and in the meantime gain some experience of my own.

cholt likes this.
  6. hunt'ngreen

hunt'ngreen Elite Refuge Member

All good points above, never skimp on your glass, or your boots. With set of good binos on a tripod, you can take your time, and pick apart the country, like Steve (sweatliner) said be on your spot early. If possible, which it isn't always, is to glass with the sun to your back in the early am. and late pm., you wont be fighting glare, and those deer tend to light up, when the sun first hits them. Try not to skyline yourself, use a tree, or big bush to break up your outline if your easing over a ridge to glass, glass from the shade when possible. Countless times you might think nothing is there after glassing for a period of time, just to have a buck stand up, stretch and re-bed out of the sun. Lots of little thing to remember, good luck.

cholt likes this.
  7. cholt

cholt Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for all the info gonna put it all to use.

8. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

Mule deer are my favorite big game animal. I enjoy hunting them more than elk, and I love elk hunting!
    I think elk and mulie hunting a lot like goose and duck hunting.
    With ducks(mulies), just go out in the marsh(hills) and you’re going to see ducks(deer) by pairs, flocks, etc. always seem to see a duck(deer) every 20 minutes. Kicking them out the draws, or their beds, etc.

Field hunting geese, some days you set up in a cut field and wait and wait and wait. Might not ever get a flight. Like elk, hike and hike all day. Never even see an elk.
    But the day the geese show up, or elk materialize on a hill side. Magic

Some mulies from the past 20 years
    01D1D873-BDBE-479D-B104-E1F2264192EA.jpeg B2F6BD6A-6C37-4795-9535-DEF8D0CD5881.jpeg 30BD3DC8-CF8D-4457-BA5D-88C4ACC37AB3.jpeg EABCF62A-9196-4D02-826E-B56595E0E27B.jpeg BBF4B748-D272-4A5D-A4DE-73AF031AF7D9.jpeg